Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New to homebrew. Tips for high alcohol and good taste.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
xxjohn85xx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default New to homebrew. Tips for high alcohol and good taste.

Hey. I'm new to home brewing. (still haven't bottled my first batch yet.) I am looking for tips to brew a high abv brew but with a good taste to it. Something at least 9-10%. I've been reading the joy of homebrew and it has me excited to try my own recipe just to experiment and have fun. I am curious to what types of combinations of malt extracts and sugars can be used. I hear 20% sugar is the limit or it can be cidery. Any help to boost that up without ruining the integrity of taste would be appreciated. Ha me and my friends like to drink so I'd love to pull out a great taste that will get them feeling it. Also what steeping grains and hops would also compliment, and is a secondary fermenter a good choice to have for this type of beer? Thanks for the tips.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #2
mike20793
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

As a new brewer, are you brewing with extract or all grain? If you are using all grain, you could just increase your grain bill to increase abv. It is hard to give tips without specifying the style of beer you are searching for. High abv and good flavor come in many styles of beer. Since you are new (like me), I recommend looking for a recipe that suits your style. Homebrewtalk is awesome because it has plenty of threads where these subjects have been thoroughly discussed. It should be easy for you to find information. Good luck and cheers!

Old 01-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #3
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As the guy above said it depends on the type of beer, but the two best tips I can give you for high gravity beers are

1. PATIENCE. Leave it alone.
2. Temp control during fermentation

Old 01-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 16

depending on what style you want, look for a recipe with the word "Imperial" before it
3: Hef-wit

Fermenting: English Mild, Cabernet Sauvignon, Barkshack Mead

Old 01-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
xxjohn85xx
Recipes 

Ok thanks for the tips. I am still using extract. Say I have a recipe of a simple ale. Can adding sugar to it and/or increasing the extract do what I'm looking for without ruining the quality of the taste too much? And any advantage over DME or LME? Thanks guys.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

sugar, DME, LME =more ABV . It just takes longer to make good flavor. Make cider if you want 9-10% ABV in 6 weeks time . My cider sits for 6months -a year ,but it tastes good then. Cheers

Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjohn85xx
Ok thanks for the tips. I am still using extract. Say I have a recipe of a simple ale. Can adding sugar to it and/or increasing the extract do what I'm looking for without ruining the quality of the taste too much? And any advantage over DME or LME? Thanks guys.
Welcome to a great site and a great obsession!

My 2cents: high ABV coincides with good taste when the alcohol is a balanced part of the whole beer. It's possible to produce this combination, but not in a hurry. Just adding lots of sugar/LME/DME to a recipe without maintaining a balance with other ingredients tends to hurt the taste. I'd suggest you look in the recipe section under IIPA, Belgian Strong, RIS or similar styles to get a recipe that will provide balance and strength.

Cheers!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #8
statseeker
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would agree with Piratwolf. To me, high ABV shouldnt be the aim unless it's part of the recipe. An imperial IPA or strong ale or something of the like would suit you well. Lots of oxygen and time would be the best 2 tips I could offer.

Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
xxjohn85xx
Recipes 

Thanks for all the suggestions and the welcomes. So far everyone is very helpful to the new guy. Imperial ipa are a great choice seeing I'm a big fan of them. And time is no problem. I'm not looking to make something quick and disgusting. I'm just curious out of other brewer experience what things could compliment/balance the taste if I use more sugars and extract. Haha I want to experiment without getting stuck with 5 gallons of garbage.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #10
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1087 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Welcome!
Yep, patience is the thing when it comes to high ABV beers. I have an 8 month old Russian Imperial stout that's great now, but was rocket fuel early on.

Anyway, check out imperial recipies, Wee Heavy recipes if you like Scottish ales, and, heck, even visit the mead forum. Cheers!