Alright dads, be honest: - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Alright dads, be honest:

Old 01-05-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
TyTanium
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 553 Times on 389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefleck View Post
I guarantee that dog's tongue is cleaner then your child's. Just say NO to purell parenting. Immune systems aren't built by isolation.
I guarantee you it's not when my dog feasts on feces. Other than that, you're preaching to the choir. I don't think we even have purell in our house.. We generally don't have anti-bacterial anything. I agree, isolation = sick.

Reason: To be less curt.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7383 Times on 6069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Not being a parent, and single, I'm more interested how many folks on here have used starsan on a dildo before.....especially our female members.

(actually I've never thought about that before, until I saw this thread title.)
Hadn't this been brought up once before in the members section?

Old 01-05-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 146 Times on 57 Posts

My ex only boob-fed our first, and only for a couple months. She borrowed a breast pump from her brother's wife, tried it, and sat there listening to me say "mooooo" every couple minutes. The pump went back to the SIL and the kid went onto the bottle.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #14
Skins_Brew

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Silver Spring, MD.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I use to clean baby bottles/bottle nips/and the drying rack with it.

I Support My LHBS!! (Maryland HB)

Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
Devon
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Greenhill, Nova Scotia
Liked 66 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefleck View Post
Just say NO to purell parenting. Immune systems aren't built by isolation.

There's a lot of kids out there who aren't going to have a chance when they actually get sick and have no immune system to fight it off.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
davefleck
Recipes 

Oct 2007
Edgewater CO
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devon

There's a lot of kids out there who aren't going to have a chance when they actually get sick and have no immune system to fight it off.
My wife and I lived in the NICU last February before my daughter could come home. I am all too familiar with the fragility many newborns and preemees face.

Listen to your doctor first and foremost. If your doctor recommends a purell lifestyle, chances are there is a very specific reason.

The first couple months exposure should be very limited. By the time your half pint is putting everything in their mouths they should have a strong base of an immune system. That said, no breast milk will slow that down.

Oh, and most dogs lick their butt. Yet its been studied that humans carry more bacteria in their mouth then our poop licking 4 legged friends.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #17
JonW

Recipes 

Dec 2009
Huntington Beach ☼
Liked 247 Times on 154 Posts

When my kids were in daycare, they had either an ear infection, pink eye or a common cold on a regular basis. We used to joke that when the last kid was infected, they would mutate it and give it to the first kid to start again.

Once my kids started school, neither of them missed a day for being sick in their first 4 years. All those little colds built them into virus fighting ninjas.

My Single Tier, 3 Pump, BCS-462, Brutus Build:..... [LINK]
My customized BCS-462 controller web interface:.. [LINK]
My 8 tap, 11 keg, upright Keezer build:.................... [LINK]

Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #18
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Eldorado, WI
Liked 146 Times on 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksmitty View Post
As the father of 3 (all before I started brewing, so no starsan), I can tell you, the first one you boil everything on a regular basis. Everything is sterilized.

By the third one, you pull the binkie out of the dogs mouth and put it in the kids mouth!
LOL! Reminds me of when my oldest was about 2. I found his toothbrush IN HIS DIAPER. I cleaned it up, rinsed the hell out of it in mouthwash and had him brush his teeth. He is almost 16 now. And doing fine, BTW.

EDIT: It was only #1, not #2.........

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 01-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #19
Randall
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW
When my kids were in daycare, they had either an ear infection, pink eye or a common cold on a regular basis. We used to joke that when the last kid was infected, they would mutate it and give it to the first kid to start again.

Once my kids started school, neither of them missed a day for being sick in their first 4 years. All those little colds built them into virus fighting ninjas.
My 3 year old boy started preschool about 4 months ago and my wife and I have been sick every month. I can't wait until he gets over that crap. And yes we have had pink eye, little f$ckin butt hole scratchers purell can't stop that **** from getting ya

Old 01-06-2012, 05:09 AM   #20
Brulosopher
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Fresno, CA
Liked 357 Times on 261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefleck

I guarantee that dog's tongue is cleaner then your child's. Just say NO to purell parenting. Immune systems aren't built by isolation.
Amen

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott