Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Blichmann conical

Old 01-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Bones1948
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Blichmann conical

First batch of Ale in Blichmann conical was difficult because I did not attempt dumping trub until I was ready for secondary fermentation. The Trub was so thick (the consistency of mason's mortor) it would not dump so I had to decant the wort into a carboy for secondary fermentation.

Am about to begin a Schwartzbier at ~55 degrees. How soon after I pitch yeast should I begin dumping trub to prevent excess accumulation and concretion of it? Also, since lager yeast is a "bottom fermenter" I fear there may be a danger of dumping yeast. It is reasonable there will be yeast suspended throughout the 5.5 gallons of wort but lager yeast being a "bottom fermenter" one can presume the bulk of the yeast will be near the bottom of the wort? Is there a color distinction between the trub gunk and dead yeast and live yeast?

Thanks in advance.

Bones

Old 01-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #2
WhiteMtnHausBier
Recipes 

I'm going to take a shot at this because we use 7bbl conical fermenters at my work. When collecting yeast from the bottom we will purge the first of the trub and it's typically like a big ol poop and we don't use that. Once that passes we will collect whatever generation yeast and save it. Like a half gallon's volume? As far as a color indication I haven't a clue. However, when it turns from a solid into a liquid culture is a good a time as any to collect it. And I would collect it before you are going to rack it into whatever serving vessel or secondary you plan to use.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Bones1948
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. How do you store the retrieved yeast? Obviously in a sterilized container in a 'fridge but do you add some sort of media for the bugs to eat while in storage?

Bones

Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #4
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would say in a sterilized mason jar/lid with pre-boiled water.

/B