Pouring beer into secondary fermenter - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Pouring beer into secondary fermenter

Old 01-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #1
callisbeers
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Cary, NC

Normal I use the spigot and some tubing to move the beer from primary to secondary. This time the crud on the bottom clogged the spigot. So I had to pout it which obviously added some oxygen. What will this do to the beer?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
pabloj13
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

Oxidation is supposed to give off flavors, especially with long-term storage. I'll drive over from Durham and help you make sure the storage is more short-term.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 01-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
hopheaded
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Bay Area, California
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

you could get a cardboard like off flavor that can happen from oxygenation. use a siphon in the future for transferring!

Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
Seven
Recipes 

Jan 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 166 Times on 79 Posts

It may cause some oxidation in the finished beer but that usually takes time before it's really noticeable.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:20 AM   #5
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Sep 2008
Zebulon, North Carolina
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by callisbeers View Post
Normal I use the spigot and some tubing to move the beer from primary to secondary. This time the crud on the bottom clogged the spigot. So I had to pout it which obviously added some oxygen. What will this do to the beer?
Depends, if its a barleywine its ruined, if its a mild or pale ale its fine. What you did was reduce its shelf life. So if its not a IIPA or Imperial stout that requires months to mature, you're fine. +1 on the siphon, just start it correctly.