Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Island 17 Brewing - "The Strap" Blackstrap Molasses Porter

Old 06-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
ajbram
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

By weight. As a note, the molasses taste was quite noticeable when this aged a while, you may want to cut it back to ~7oz.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
MrSpiffy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Hmm... this could get interesting... I already brewed this recipe last weekend, and I assumed it was by fluid ounces (I asked the question after I had finished.), which means the weight was probably closer to 15oz for 10 fl oz. Soooooo.... it's going to be VERY molasses-y. Ooops.

Was the molasses flavor more subdued earlier on? Maybe I can just drink it up before it gets too overpowering.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #13
ajbram
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSpiffy View Post
Hmm... this could get interesting... I already brewed this recipe last weekend, and I assumed it was by fluid ounces (I asked the question after I had finished.), which means the weight was probably closer to 15oz for 10 fl oz. Soooooo.... it's going to be VERY molasses-y. Ooops.

Was the molasses flavor more subdued earlier on? Maybe I can just drink it up before it gets too overpowering.
It was even pretty subdued after aging, but just slightly more pronounced. I like the molasses flavour, so I liked it anyways. Early on, that dark molasses sweetness really contributes more to chocolate flavours with a slight molasses tang. Later, it was just more noticable. The last bottle of this I had I drank after about 6 months aging and it was delicious. I just assumed most people didn't like the molasses as much as me, so i recommended tuning down just a bit. Not sure what it will be like with almost double the molasses.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:45 AM   #14
MrSpiffy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Just to follow up on this, the 10 fluid ounces of molasses turned out to be a bit strong, but still tasty. I plan to brew this again using the 10 ounces by weight (or just a little less), and then adding bourbon-soaked oak chips to secondary. Something tells me that this could be...... *puts on sunglasses*... epic! Yeaaaaaahhhhh!

Old 03-12-2014, 08:17 PM   #15
MrSpiffy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

Brewed this beer over New Year's with a buddy of mine. I used the 10oz of Molasses, by weight, this time. I also used oak chips and bourbon in the secondary. I soaked 2oz of chips for a week in about a pint of Elijah Craig bourbon, then added them to the secondary for 4 days. It came out pretty good, but a bit oaky. I'm thinking that next time I would only soak the oak overnight before adding it, and again only add it for a few days, at most. Maybe only 2 days. (Or use less oak.)

But it's definitely drinkable and potent. With less molasses and the addition of the oak and bourbon, this isn't a sweet beer at all. There's a little sweetness, but it's mostly flavor. If the original recipe is too sweet for your liking, maybe give this combo a try.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #16
DeltaNu1142
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I cooked up this recipe yesterday. Instead of First Gold, I used E.K. Golding, and I pitched a Belle Saison yeast as well. I'll post back here in a few weeks.
On tap #1: ordering something commercial 15-08-31
On tap #2: air
Next Brew: Chocolate/Coffee Breakfast Stout

Old 10-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #17
DeltaNu1142
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

6 days and fairly uneventful primary action. 65 degrees in the fermenter, very little foaming up top, and low airlock activity. There's a good yeast cake at the bottom, though. I've shaken it every few days to give it a kick, but it's persistently boring. This yeast claims vigorous fermentation, but I'm not seeing it. Otherwise, it looks great.

This photo was taken post-shake.
On tap #1: ordering something commercial 15-08-31
On tap #2: air
Next Brew: Chocolate/Coffee Breakfast Stout

Old 10-27-2014, 01:48 AM   #18
MrSpiffy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts

I had similar results on the fermentation. I think the molasses doesn't kick up the year as much as expected. But I had a ton of yeast on the bottom as well. I'm sure it'll be delicious.