HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > The Big Investment And The Conflict
View Poll Results: Your Suggestion
Go all Out 4 44.44%
Wait and Accumulate 5 55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 PM   #1
Bowow0708
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default The Big Investment And The Conflict

I was thinking to go allgrain during my next order from the USA, since im in the philippines i need to order everything there since australia is a tad more costly than stuff in the USA. in my next order im thinking of getting either a 10 or 15 gal pot and a platechiller and a malt mill, my last extract kit, grains for my first allgrain batch, sanitizer, and since im in the phils. and small to regular beers are no good if the delivery of the ingredients are so costly so i only do big beers. Also a wine corker, corks, and or bottles since mead making is better here with honey at 3.5$ a kilo from the supermarket.
The plate chiller is also more or less my only option since water is never lower than 70F except during the rainy season where it is impossible to brew.
Going allgrain means i can order grain bulk and with the mill it will last longer and save me money with the cheaper grain with longer shelf life.

All in all that is around 800 Usd (or 38000 Php)
And i can just build my MLT here.

So here is where i am conflicting

-One, i get everything listed and next time be able to just bulk order grain and save money in the long run, but it would mean a giant investment now.

Or

-Two, stick with extract and the wine bottling eqiument and wait, but bemoan over my lack of freedom and cheapness of allgrain but have my mead to age and drink with the wine corking equipment. Then getting one piece of equipment at a time but where the overseas shipping will make me spend more in the long run anyway. Around 65$ per box and 2 months at the very least delivery time.

can anyone help here?

ps. how long will unmilled bulk grain store at room temp approx. 75-80F indoors w/o a basement in a airtight container? if i decide to go for the full investment.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
joeybeer
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Grain should keep for several months in an airtight container, I always rotate which grains I use and nothing lasts more than 4 months or so. To save a few $ consider getting a corona grain mill and a Colanna capper/corker - I use both and they're great !

You might be able to buy bulk grain from a brewery in the Philippines ?

Fermenter :
12 gallons of Under Pressure Brown Ale
5 gallons of Dead Guyish IPA for a competition

Old 01-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Scruffy1207
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowow0708
I was thinking to go allgrain during my next order from the USA, since im in the philippines i need to order everything there since australia is a tad more costly than stuff in the USA. in my next order im thinking of getting either a 10 or 15 gal pot and a platechiller and a malt mill, my last extract kit, grains for my first allgrain batch, sanitizer, and since im in the phils. and small to regular beers are no good if the delivery of the ingredients are so costly so i only do big beers. Also a wine corker, corks, and or bottles since mead making is better here with honey at 3.5$ a kilo from the supermarket.
The plate chiller is also more or less my only option since water is never lower than 70F except during the rainy season where it is impossible to brew.
Going allgrain means i can order grain bulk and with the mill it will last longer and save me money with the cheaper grain with longer shelf life.

All in all that is around 800 Usd (or 38000 Php)
And i can just build my MLT here.

So here is where i am conflicting

-One, i get everything listed and next time be able to just bulk order grain and save money in the long run, but it would mean a giant investment now.

Or

-Two, stick with extract and the wine bottling eqiument and wait, but bemoan over my lack of freedom and cheapness of allgrain but have my mead to age and drink with the wine corking equipment. Then getting one piece of equipment at a time but where the overseas shipping will make me spend more in the long run anyway. Around 65$ per box and 2 months at the very least delivery time.

can anyone help here?

ps. how long will unmilled bulk grain store at room temp approx. 75-80F indoors w/o a basement in a airtight container? if i decide to go for the full investment.
I say shoot for it, I personally love brewing so much more since I switched. Saving money is good and it sounds like you're in it for the long run, also that shouldn't be a problem spring the grain, just make sure it's in an air tight container if possible, and put it in the coolest place in your house.

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Bowow0708
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybeer View Post

You might be able to buy bulk grain from a brewery in the Philippines ?
hmm maybe but there are only 2 breweries in the philippines and even they import from australia and other countries and they are mostly high adjunct beers since "all malt"(that fact has just been used for marketing for a while now) beers are too expensive to be economically successful, they about twice the cost to the regular flagship beers are around 50c a 12oz bottle. most likely they are importing 6 row malts and are using rice and corn for their pale pilsen lager beers. but i saw a homebrewer online but he has not been updating his blog since 2007 who is trying for a small scale commercial malting company for the few or bare handfull of filipino homebrewers.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
mikeysab
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 28 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 518 Times on 399 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Can't you get someone to buy stuff for you and Johnny air it to you? I would think it's cheaper that way. My wifes cousins do that all the time. Not for homebrewing, but other stuff.
Mikeysab on untappd.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Bowow0708
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeysab View Post
Can't you get someone to buy stuff for you and Johnny air it to you? I would think it's cheaper that way. My wifes cousins do that all the time. Not for homebrewing, but other stuff.
that is around the same rates i get so there is no change in the shipping and the bill is sent to me but the order is sent to a relative there in the USA then they send it here either in the same box or in a balikbayan box

Old 01-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 842 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

I understand the plate chiller, but you can't get a decent sized pot and a grain mill in the Philippines? Also, you can look into Brew in a Bag as an alternative to having to build or buy a mash tun.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
BrewMU
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Why buy hops?

If you are going to be there awhile, why not take advantage of the long growing season and order some hop rhyzomes?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
Bowow0708
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I understand the plate chiller, but you can't get a decent sized pot and a grain mill in the Philippines? Also, you can look into Brew in a Bag as an alternative to having to build or buy a mash tun.
I have been looking for pots for a long time around here and the biggest ones are only 5 to 7 gal not enough for full boils, big enough for soup making in a restaurant but not full allgrain boils. and the only kind of mill that i can find here are for de-husking rice and even those are only for small scale commercial rice growing. Or for making mills for milling flour but they are also sized for commercial use, apart from that mills used to crush seeds and grain for feeding livestock but i doubt that they can keep the husk intact.
i have also been looking into BIAB but you have also touched on another of my conflicts.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
Bowow0708
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewMU View Post
If you are going to be there awhile, why not take advantage of the long growing season and order some hop rhyzomes?
true i have considered ordering rhizomes but i would hate having to go through all the tiresome forms and documents for importing a plant rhizome since it may accidentally enter into the environment and outcompete the native flora or it may introduce some kind of plant virus and kill plenty of the plants and hops are subject to quarantine because of powdery mildew and so such. and we have no winter or fall only summer and monsoons 6 months hot and humid, 6 months a ton of rain. the hops would probably drown here since my yard of only good for growing wild grass.