Brew day help needed: how do I measure fresh orange peel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeICR

Reaction score
Everything's ready and the strike water is heating... My LHBS didn't have dried orange peel, so I bought a few oranges on the way home. I need one ounce of sweet dry orange peel. How do I get that from a fresh orange? Is one ounce of dry equal to one ounce of fresh? Please comment!

You can grate about half of a medium size orange that should equal 1 oz of dried orange peel

there is a lot of water weight in not dry plant matter. so 1 to 1 isn't enough... I'd personally go 2 or 3 fresh to dry, but that is still no guarentte that it is right. Another option is if you have a health food store near by they might have it. You are after the sort fo place that sells herbal remedies as a main business, or organic only etc. They might have some dried orange peel

Soak your orange peel (I use three oranges for five gal.) in vodka or rum in a lidded sandwich box. Start the peels when you start your ferment. Keep in fridg. and shake it daily Then add the liquor at bottling. You will get the most reliable orange flavor that way. And don't include the pith in your peel!

Back