Gargoyle Imperial Stout - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Gargoyle Imperial Stout

Old 12-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Alchemist42
Recipes 

Jul 2010
Oregon
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Recipe Type: All Grain   
Yeast: 1728 Scottish Ale Wyeast   
Yeast Starter: Yes - 1 c DME/Qt   
Batch Size (Gallons): 6   
Original Gravity: 1.105   
Final Gravity: 1.026 (projected)   
IBU: 30   
Boiling Time (Minutes): 120   
Color: Black   
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): Still there   
Tasting Notes: Malty, thick and roasty. Just what I was looking for.   

Brewed this up yesterday. Killer efficiency. 1.106 OG. Mid 80's brewhouse efficiency. A touch surprisingly the yeast has not kicked in yet after 12 hours. Crossing my fingers it's not too shocked...but it was a good solid starter, so I think it is just slow.

The Northern Brewer was the way to go. Just what I was looking for. I think you were dead on frankstoneline - I didn't like the hop flavor profile.

I left the peated where it was, but the cosmos conspired on me to make me think fast on my feet about the Special B - the store was out. So after much sampling, I settled on malt I've never tried as a sub - Bohemian malt - at the full 1.5 lbs. Somehow I ended up with an extra 16 oz of chocolate malt - help of an 10 year old in the shop I think...so I tossed it in too.

They result so far....malty roasty goodness - no where over the top for my tastes.