Alternative Brewing - Page 15 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Alternative Brewing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 06:46 PM   #141
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,921
Liked 3184 Times on 1883 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
Irony?
I thought so...but I figured maybe folks weren't thinking the obvious...


Oops....
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #142
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Airborneguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Posts: 10,886
Liked 854 Times on 626 Posts


Just call someone names and it will get locked.
__________________
Fermentor(s):
Lagering:
Bottled: Atonement Brown Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:23 AM   #143
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,402
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts


Those of you who have engaged in on topic debate, thank you.

To others, trying to derail (troll) any thread because you simply disagree with the concept of the thread, will not be tolerated.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 AM   #144
heferly
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Westbrook, CT
Posts: 745
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Sorry mods for the bs, just having fun....to make my post relevant, I guess what the op is doing is different, but to all the rest reading the thread, take it with a grain of salt, and research it all on your own....you might find some methods work and some don't, but you won't know for sure until you try it
__________________
Basement Cafe Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:48 AM   #145
stamandster
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
springfield, ma
Posts: 763
Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts


I could foresee this happening on page 10 of this thread... I did warn people

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #146
eeverwine
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
philadelphia, pennsylvania
Posts: 50
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I skipped up here from page 10, and didn't bother reading back a bit to see why everyone got their posts deleted. I'm sure this thread has devolved in to some fresh internet hell.

I know this has been said already, maybe a hundred times, but the OP is a different type of homebrewer. Hell, we're all different types of homebrewers. He calls it "minimalist." I agree with most of you and tend to call it "stupid." But that's because I'm only interested in making the best beer I possibly can.

I'm proposing an experiment. And I hope I'm not the only one who tries this, but I am definitely going through with it.

I'm going to make a self-designed Simcoe Imperial IPA recipe two different ways on my next brew day. (Probably the last week of this month)

The first method: my standard All-grain set-up. 10gal round mash tun with a false bottom, single infusion with mash-out, fly sparge, 90 minute boil with scheduled hop additions, quick cool with my wort chiller, etc etc etc.

The second method: I'll follow the OP's OP to the letter. BIAB, no temp control, no pH measurements, with hop tea and 25 min boil, no chill method, etc etc etc.

I'll bottle the "traditional" using Revvy's method from his famous Bottling post (Thanks a ton for that btw, totally REVVolutionized my bottling days), and I'll bottle the OP's way using a funnel and a sanitized measuring cup.

We'll see what happens. I'm fairly certain the OP's method will reign victorious, and his paradigm shifting views on brewing will forever ALTER my brew days.

Reason: psh, I put down my boil time wrong like an idiot

RobbyBeers Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #147
udt89
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Long Island, NY
Posts: 253

I read this thread and love it.

I just wonder sometimes about brewing in the very early days and how beer tasted. Because, I could be wrong, but I bet they were very minimal in their approach.

Sometimes the art gets lost in the technology.

But then again i'm a fan of technology. So who knows.......

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #148
Piratwolf
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Va Beach, VA
Posts: 2,118
Liked 128 Times on 119 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by eeverwine
I skipped up here from page 10, and didn't bother reading back a bit to see why everyone got their posts deleted. I'm sure this thread has devolved in to some fresh internet hell.

I know this has been said already, maybe a hundred times, but the OP is a different type of homebrewer. Hell, we're all different types of homebrewers. He calls it "minimalist." I agree with most of you and tend to call it "stupid." But that's because I'm only interested in making the best beer I possibly can.

I'm proposing an experiment. And I hope I'm not the only one who tries this, but I am definitely going through with it.

I'm going to make a self-designed Simcoe Imperial IPA recipe two different ways on my next brew day. (Probably the last week of this month)

The first method: my standard All-grain set-up. 10gal round mash tun with a false bottom, single infusion with mash-out, fly sparge, 90 minute boil with scheduled hop additions, quick cool with my wort chiller, etc etc etc.

The second method: I'll follow the OP's OP to the letter. BIAB, no temp control, no pH measurements, with hop tea and 25 min boil, no chill method, etc etc etc.

I'll bottle the "traditional" using Revvy's method from his famous Bottling post (Thanks a ton for that btw, totally REVVolutionized my bottling days), and I'll bottle the OP's way using a funnel and a sanitized measuring cup.

We'll see what happens. I'm fairly certain the OP's method will reign victorious, and his paradigm shifting views on brewing will forever ALTER my brew days.
THIS is why I love HBT. Empirical evidence > anecdote > theory.
__________________
Piratwolf: "I've heard that Belgian Blondes can be "panty droppers" but they're not particularly high IBU nor cheap."

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #149
heferly
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Westbrook, CT
Posts: 745
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by udt89
I read this thread and love it.

I just wonder sometimes about brewing in the very early days and how beer tasted. Because, I could be wrong, but I bet they were very minimal in their approach.

Sometimes the art gets lost in the technology.

But then again i'm a fan of technology. So who knows.......
I bet the old beers tasted like a**...a few members have brewed up historical beers before hops were used for bittering....bob is one of them who's highly educated in the matter
__________________
Basement Cafe Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #150
udt89
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Long Island, NY
Posts: 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by heferly

I bet the old beers tasted like a**...a few members have brewed up historical beers before hops were used for bittering....bob is one of them who's highly educated in the matter
Ok so start when hops was being used......just saying, in regards to a lot of things, overthinking happens a lot

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hopback alternative? bctdi General Techniques 0 04-23-2010 02:49 PM
PSI set and forget alternative? carrotmalt General Techniques 6 02-21-2010 11:54 PM
Alternative method to dry hop? jlpred55 General Techniques 13 08-07-2009 06:10 PM
Natural Alternative to Beer Gas? brewjack General Techniques 13 07-13-2009 03:21 PM
dry hoping alternative? adamk222 General Techniques 8 02-04-2006 07:57 PM


Forum Jump