Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First brew done, any tips for my mistakes?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
William_Stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First brew done, any tips for my mistakes?

Let me start off by saying that was the most exciting day I've had in a long time, and I've been to Afghanistan!

I started off by steeping my Grains(1lb of Caramunch and 2oz of Chocolate Malt) @ about 150-155 for 30 min it held temp really good.
Then I brought it to a boil. My first mistake, I added the 5lbs of Gold Dry Light DME and The 1oz of Hallertau directly into the boil. I guess that was my hot break, it boiled over quite fast once, then again hehe.

I thought I had enough propane for 1 hour of boil but I didn't so I only got about 45 minutes of boil, I added 2oz of Saaz right at the flameou t.
Is the 45 min boil going to really affect my final product?

So I cooled to about 80 in 17min using an ice bath, I tossed it into my primary using a funnel, no screen, then topped up to 5 gallons with my tap water(next time I will boil it I think). Then I pitched my yeast, oops forgot to take a reading. I mixed it up a bit so I didn't take all the yeast with my turkey baster. I got a low reading, it was like 1.016 or something, so I stirred it up with the skinny end of my spoon for a minute and BAM 1.044, I was shooting for 1.045 so it should be good.

Any tips on the stuff I messed up?

Old 12-29-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
jaycount
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Fermcap can help with boil overs, also just removing the pot from heat when adding the DME can help.

With a shorter boil your beer will be less bitter (the 60 min hops were boiled for less time). I suggest having a second tank, even if the second one is primarily on your gas grill, at least you have a plan B.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 PM   #3
William_Stout
Recipes 

Yah I'm definitely going to get a second tank, and next brew I will be starting with a full tank hehe. I'm pretty happy for a first brew, I know what I need to do to be more organized from here on out.

I don't mind a maltier brew I'm a fan of English Browns so I hope I like it.