Just a thought - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just a thought

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
Bigniall666
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
kilkenny, ireland
Posts: 31


I've been doing a bit of thinking, dangerous i know. i've got a bearded dragon at home, and spare heat mat, if i placed a layer of material between it and the fermentation vessel, could it serve as a heater to adjust or maintain the temperature of the wort?

any thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #2
birvine
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Cochrane, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,506
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigniall666 View Post
I've been doing a bit of thinking, dangerous i know. i've got a bearded dragon at home, and spare heat mat, if i placed a layer of material between it and the fermentation vessel, could it serve as a heater to adjust or maintain the temperature of the wort?

any thoughts?
What temp is your room? The reason I ask is that you want to ferment ales at around 60F and would not want heat added.

B
__________________
Manager & Head Brewer
Swan Lane Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Bigniall666
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
kilkenny, ireland
Posts: 31

it varies, depending on how long the heating is on each day, but roughly about 16-18 degrees, could be higher if the heating is on for longer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
birvine
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Cochrane, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,506
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


I'd say no heater because you want to hold your fermenting beer steady around 16C. Too warm a fermentation can give unpleasant flavours to the beer.

B
__________________
Manager & Head Brewer
Swan Lane Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Bigniall666
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
kilkenny, ireland
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by birvine View Post
What temp is your room? The reason I ask is that you want to ferment ales at around 60F and would not want heat added.

B

at the moment, i'm using a coopers original series larger kit, but apparently the yeast is a mix strain, larger+ale yeast, and the instructions provided say 18 degrees celcius or 65.4 F, will still ferment anything under 16 deg C or 60.8 F, and it will stall.

at the moment the brew is sitting on 60.8F, and if it drops again, i may need to bring the temperature back up to within range

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
birvine
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Cochrane, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,506
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


With your room in the 16-18 range I would say you'd be ok. Lager yeast actually works at lower temps than ale. Is there any sign at all of fermentation?

B
__________________
Manager & Head Brewer
Swan Lane Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
birvine
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Cochrane, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,506
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigniall666 View Post
at the moment, i'm using a coopers original series larger kit, but apparently the yeast is a mix strain, larger+ale yeast, and the instructions provided say 18 degrees celcius or 65.4 F, will still ferment anything under 16 deg C or 60.8 F, and it will stall.

at the moment the brew is sitting on 60.8F, and if it drops again, i may need to bring the temperature back up to within range
Yeast activity is exothermic so the actual fermentation will be warmer than the ambient temperature.

B
__________________
Manager & Head Brewer
Swan Lane Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Bigniall666
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
kilkenny, ireland
Posts: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by birvine View Post
With your room in the 16-18 range I would say you'd be ok. Lager yeast actually works at lower temps than ale. Is there any sign at all of fermentation?

B
i've passed high krausen and i'm conditioning at the moment, yeast is still relatively active, with significantly reduced CO2 production. i may pick up some agars from uni, for future sterility testing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
birvine
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Cochrane, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 1,506
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


I would not worry whatsoever about the temp. By the sounds of it everything is just fine, the room temp is perfect and the beer will turn out great. Once the fermentation is at the 3-4 week period, check the SG to see that it has stabilized, then bottle and condition. And is is at this point that you will want a warmer room for the botles to condition over a few more weeks.

B
__________________
Manager & Head Brewer
Swan Lane Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
Bigniall666
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
kilkenny, ireland
Posts: 31

As unfortunately i'm under time constraints i will unfortunately have to bottle on the 6th or 7th of january as i'm heading back to uni to do exams but it will be fine, i will allow a little longer for conditioning in the bottle

N

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A after thought jhuyser Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 12-21-2011 05:59 PM
Just when I thought I knew what I was doing...! Adam's Apples Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 04-03-2011 06:29 AM
I *thought* I did everything right ... Hannable1975 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 08-22-2010 03:09 PM
Thought it was done?!?!?!?! atomicflatulence Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 07-24-2010 02:19 AM
Never thought this would happen... Erythro73 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 04-17-2010 07:00 PM


Forum Jump