Will it kill me? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Will it kill me?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
WhiskeyScroggins
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 22


Back in June I brewed a nice stout. I had gotten it racked and put the airlock in (3 piece type), life interrupted the process and somehow I forgot to put any liquid in it. I didn't notice it until later that week when I went to check on how fermentation was going. At that point I just figured it is what it is and ignored it. It's still sitting there. Is it worth kegging, or just throw it out?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
kiwibrew
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Brighton, MI
Posts: 79
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


it won't kill you, taste it before you throw it out you might be ok and you might not



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
petey_c
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
petey_c's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2010
Miller Place, NY (Long Island)
Posts: 1,344
Liked 89 Times on 76 Posts


I'd like to modify what kiwibrew said, if it's going to kill you, it's better one of your friends taste it (that you don't care about so much), than yourself. Actually, according to most studies, nothing that can "kill" you can live in beer. Think about it, hundreds of years ago, people were brewing beer and surviving longer than those who drank the local water... Keg it and try it out. One sip will let you know if it's a keeper or not... Best of luck, Pete

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 AM   #4
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
marubozo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
SW Michigan
Posts: 30,799
Liked 5398 Times on 5251 Posts


As they have said, nothing in there will kill you even if it caught some nasty bug. It may taste like Satan's anus and trigger a gag reflex, but that will be the only real harm done.

But in all seriousness, there's probably a 99.5% chance the beer is just fine even with the airlock mishap if everything else was sanitized properly. That's because fermentation creates CO2 and due to the pressure created in the fermenter it pushes gas out of the airlock making it nearly impossible for anything to somehow get in.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
raptorkeeper89
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Lancaster, CA
Posts: 68
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


I could be way off here but here is my thinking. If you installed an airlock even without any liquid, you are still getting the CO2 inside and coming out of the airlock. While not the ideal set up, the pieces of the airlock would hopefully keep out most of anything nasty. Again i could be way off, but seems logical to me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:15 AM   #6
WhiskeyScroggins
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
As they have said, nothing in there will kill you even if it caught some nasty bug. It may taste like Satan's anus and trigger a gag reflex, but that will be the only real harm done.

But in all seriousness, there's probably a 99.5% chance the beer is just fine even with the airlock mishap if everything else was sanitized properly. That's because fermentation creates CO2 and due to the pressure created in the fermenter it pushes gas out of the airlock making it nearly impossible for anything to somehow get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorkeeper89 View Post
I could be way off here but here is my thinking. If you installed an airlock even without any liquid, you are still getting the CO2 inside and coming out of the airlock. While not the ideal set up, the pieces of the airlock would hopefully keep out most of anything nasty. Again i could be way off, but seems logical to me.


Thanks, I was def going to try it b4 pitching it, just wanted to make sure I wouldn't die or get terribly sick!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #7
crazyseany
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Smithville, Ohio
Posts: 440
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts


Well how was it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
badbrew
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
l.a., ca
Posts: 1,372
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


You have had a fermentor going since last June? So that's nearly 7 months in the fermentor open to the atmosphere? I would dump it personally.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:22 AM   #9
BrewKnurd
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,765
Liked 245 Times on 203 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
You have had a fermentor going since last June? So that's nearly 7 months in the fermentor open to the atmosphere? I would dump it personally.
without even sampling? I would have to try it before even considering dumping.
__________________
Fake it til you make it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:25 AM   #10
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
marubozo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
SW Michigan
Posts: 30,799
Liked 5398 Times on 5251 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew View Post
You have had a fermentor going since last June? So that's nearly 7 months in the fermentor open to the atmosphere? I would dump it personally.
So you'd dump a beer without even tasting it first even though there's a better chance of it being perfectly fine than having something wrong with it? It's a 3-piece airlock with practically pinholes exposed to the outside air. It's not like it was hanging out in a bucket with the lid off for six months.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did I just kill my yeast? Idlehanz Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 03-08-2011 01:30 AM
This isn't going to kill me is it? McD Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-15-2009 06:25 PM
Did i kill my fermentation? Tonybrau Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 01-21-2009 01:04 PM
Did I kill it? LewBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 11-16-2008 10:22 PM
did I kill my beer ? taelmore Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 09-11-2008 09:51 AM


Forum Jump