Better than Apfelwein... - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Better than Apfelwein...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2007, 11:22 PM   #21
Bender
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Bender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Barnegat, NJ
Posts: 441
Liked 43 Times on 22 Posts


Tomorrow I bottle the 9 gallons I have already fermented. 5 genuine apfelwien and 4 experimental flavored varieties. I'm going to run out of bottles when I try this idea.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:35 AM   #22
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
EdWort's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 11,912
Liked 342 Times on 169 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender
Tomorrow I bottle the 9 gallons I have already fermented. 5 genuine apfelwien and 4 experimental flavored varieties. I'm going to run out of bottles when I try this idea.
Sweet! I bet you'll get your bottles back pretty darn quick.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:09 AM   #23
delboy
 
delboy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Belfast N.Ireland
Posts: 320
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Set up a 20L batch of TC with 500g muscavodo sugar using wyeast 3068 strain as suggested in the first post.
Will report back the results when they are in.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:26 AM   #24
delboy
 
delboy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Belfast N.Ireland
Posts: 320
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Has anyone tried stopping the yeast early with pottasium sorbate like the grape squeezers do if they want a sweet wine.

Im using the 3068 yeast which isn't that flocculant, after hitting the yeast with potassium sorbate do the yeast die or just stall, if they die are they more prone to autolysis and off tastes or would it be fine????

Also i've read in other threads that you should use campden with sorbate to prevent off flavours how much do you need to add???


 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #25
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Sir Humpsalot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Posts: 4,005
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy
Has anyone tried stopping the yeast early with pottasium sorbate like the grape squeezers do if they want a sweet wine.

Im using the 3068 yeast which isn't that flocculant, after hitting the yeast with potassium sorbate do the yeast die or just stall, if they die are they more prone to autolysis and off tastes or would it be fine????

Also i've read in other threads that you should use campden with sorbate to prevent off flavours how much do you need to add???

Do everyone SERIOUSLY have to respond to every question all over again in this thread just like we did 7 or 8 times in EdWort's thread?

Just teasing. sorta.

Anyway, if you bottle carb, you can't use campden. If you want it still, or if you use CO2 gas, then go ahead and use campden. People have done so. Read EdWort's thread for more info.
__________________
In Process: Mango Beer, Homebrewers Pale Ale
Bottled/Kegged:Spicy Light Rye, Rice-adjunct Pale Ale, Mild Bourbon Porter, Roasty Stout, Basic Light Mead, Bourbon County Stout Clone
Up Next: Berlinerweiss, Chocolate Raspberry Ale, and American IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 PM   #26
delboy
 
delboy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Belfast N.Ireland
Posts: 320
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Ive read it (almost like a rite of passage that thread), but to be honest looking for useful info on the thread (apart from the first 10-20 pages) is a serious PITA and not worth the hassle.
Also noticed when you post a quesion on it that you get zero replies (unless your lucky) because they tend to get buried with the 'wow dude apfelwein is great' posts.

I thought that you needed K-sorbate to stop yeasts and that campden on its own is only good for stopping wild yeasts, but that you use campden and K-sorbate in conjunction to both stop the yeast and prevent unwanted reactions with the leftover sorbate??? Is this right? any winemakers out there???

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:58 AM   #27
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Sir Humpsalot's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
Posts: 4,005
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts


Haha... I'm lengthening another apple thread.

I just tossed 4 gallons of apple juice in with 2 cans of concentrate with WLP300 (White Labs' standard German Hefeweizen strain).

OG of the Apple Juice is 1.046.

Each can of concentrate ups the gravity by .009 per gallon. I have an OG 1.051.


My plan is to rack to secondary at some point and use gelatin or other finings to actually clear the cider. Based on my past experience, priming half with brown sugar and half with honey, I will be using brown sugar for greater body and depth.

Or.. if I'm getting daring, maybe I'll prime it with apple juice... hehe....
__________________
In Process: Mango Beer, Homebrewers Pale Ale
Bottled/Kegged:Spicy Light Rye, Rice-adjunct Pale Ale, Mild Bourbon Porter, Roasty Stout, Basic Light Mead, Bourbon County Stout Clone
Up Next: Berlinerweiss, Chocolate Raspberry Ale, and American IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:58 AM   #28
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,760
Liked 8026 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by delboy
Ive read it (almost like a rite of passage that thread), but to be honest looking for useful info on the thread (apart from the first 10-20 pages) is a serious PITA and not worth the hassle.
Also noticed when you post a quesion on it that you get zero replies (unless your lucky) because they tend to get buried with the 'wow dude apfelwein is great' posts.

I thought that you needed K-sorbate to stop yeasts and that campden on its own is only good for stopping wild yeasts, but that you use campden and K-sorbate in conjunction to both stop the yeast and prevent unwanted reactions with the leftover sorbate??? Is this right? any winemakers out there???
Campden on its own will NOT stop fermentation- in fact winemakers do use it to kill wild yeasts and bacteria. I use campden every other racking in all of my wines.

To stop fermentation, sorbate is added to the wine. However, you also need campden, too- because sorbate works better in the presence of sulfites and also because sorbate without some sulfite can led to a geranium-like off flavor and smell. So, you are 100% correct.

For any questions (not just apfelwein, but any threads) it's always best to start a new thread!
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 12:00 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,760
Liked 8026 Times on 5608 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Squirrels
My plan is to rack to secondary at some point and use gelatin or other finings to actually clear the cider. Based on my past experience, priming half with brown sugar and half with honey, I will be using brown sugar for greater body and depth.

Or.. if I'm getting daring, maybe I'll prime it with apple juice... hehe....
I'd recommend sparkelloid for clearing this. It should do a great job, leaving very little lees.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #30

Airtight - Just a pointer on Cote Des Blanc. It needs yeast nutrients or energizer to work well.

Most ciders should have either one because the juice commonly lacks what most yeasts need to do the job well.

Most people say Montrachet produces a nasty sulfuric gas. Mine never did with the addition of nutrients.

Thanks for the interesting side by side comparision. I might have to try your favorite wheat yeast.

__________________
Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. - Dale Carnegie

On Tap; Special Export, Spring SmaSH Summit, House Amber.

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Modified Apfelwein to Horrible Apfelwein in 1 week? gyrfalcon Cider Forum 12 11-28-2009 08:47 PM
What's your Apfelwein O.G. captianoats Cider Forum 0 06-23-2009 12:07 AM
Apfelwein Chris_Dog Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 14 12-21-2007 08:20 PM
Apfelwein - MikeFlynn74 Winemaking Forum 8 11-30-2007 05:59 PM
My first apfelwein St. Jon's Wort Cider Forum 0 09-20-2007 10:40 PM


Forum Jump