Better than Apfelwein... - Page 27 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Better than Apfelwein...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #261
gregkeller
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Westwood, NJ
Posts: 250
Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts


Just started up a batch of this, with 4.5 gallons of store brand apple juice (didn't even list vitamin C as an ingredient), 2 cans of apple juice concentrate and 1.5 lbs of corn sugar. Pitched with the wyeast 3068 and had some bubbles started this morning. If it's not nice and vigourous when i get home, i'll throw in another pack of yeast, as the SG was 1.072. Pack of yeast said, i might need to pitch more if it was a high SG.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #262
33cash
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Blue Springs, Missouri
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Sorry if this has been asked but my brain hurts from reading so many posts on apfelwine. Has anyone had success using concentrate without adding juice to. I was thinking of using concentrate,water, and corn sugar. Any ideas?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:50 PM   #263
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,887
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by 33cash View Post
Sorry if this has been asked but my brain hurts from reading so many posts on apfelwine. Has anyone had success using concentrate without adding juice to. I was thinking of using concentrate,water, and corn sugar. Any ideas?
I don't see any problem with that, as long as the concentrate has no preservatives. After all, most juice from concentrate is just that, from concentrate!

M_C
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #264
loftybrewer
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Wilkes-Barre, PA
Posts: 72
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


After reading this thread I popped the bung on my first batch of edwort's apfelwein (4 days in) and dumped in the bottom dregs from my wl653 vial that I kept from a berliner- added warm water and shook it up first. I know, I know - horribly underpitched. BUT first of all it's still chock full of easily digestible sugars AND the acidity and time that montrachet takes might let the brett multiply and add some complexity while the extreme attenuation of montrachet will keep it from stealing the show in the end...How is my logic?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:32 AM   #265
grumpydaddy
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Laurel Springs, New Jersey
Posts: 8


Found the Answer from a bit more searching: Yes, you need more room or a blowoff with the beer yeasts.

I'm about to try this with Wyeast 3056. My LHBS warned that I'll need more head room with this yeast than I would with the Montrachet. I was planning on doing a 5 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy per the Ed Wort recipe, but I was told to expect a lot more aggressive fermentation using the 3056 and I should use a 6 gal or larger primary. Any thoughts on this?

Mike

Reason: Found answer to question

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #266
solavirtus
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 228
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Yeah, larger space for fermentation is needed with 3056. More like a beer fermentation, so I'd say 6 or 6.5gal

 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 AM   #267
Reno_eNVy
 
Reno_eNVy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Reno, Nevada
Posts: 6,277
Liked 229 Times on 195 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpydaddy
I'm about to try this with Wyeast 3056. My LHBS warned that I'll need more head room with this yeast than I would with the Montrachet. I was planning on doing a 5 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy per the Ed Wort recipe, but I was told to expect a lot more aggressive fermentation using the 3056 and I should use a 6 gal or larger primary. Any thoughts on this?

Mike
Definitely use 6 gallon. I've got some huge krausen from 3065, up to a foot of krausen in a 7.5 gallon bucket.
__________________
Primary: air and sadness =(

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)


LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #268
SkipperNC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
SkipperNC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 547
Liked 230 Times on 229 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpydaddy View Post
Found the Answer from a bit more searching: Yes, you need more room or a blowoff with the beer yeasts.

I'm about to try this with Wyeast 3056. My LHBS warned that I'll need more head room with this yeast than I would with the Montrachet. I was planning on doing a 5 gal batch in a 5 gal carboy per the Ed Wort recipe, but I was told to expect a lot more aggressive fermentation using the 3056 and I should use a 6 gal or larger primary. Any thoughts on this?

Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy View Post
Definitely use 6 gallon. I've got some huge krausen from 3065, up to a foot of krausen in a 7.5 gallon bucket.
Uh oh. I just came here to check this after pitching on 5 gallons in a 6 gallon container with 3068. Time to scramble another small fermenting vessel.
__________________
Primary: Apfelwein(Wy3068)
Secondary: N/A
On Tap: Surly Bender clone, Chinook IPA
In Bottles: Maple Oatmeal Stout
Planning: Apricot Blonde, ESB, American Wheat
Gallons in 2012: 35

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #269
SkipperNC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
SkipperNC's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Charlotte, NC
Posts: 547
Liked 230 Times on 229 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperNC View Post
Uh oh. I just came here to check this after pitching on 5 gallons in a 6 gallon container with 3068. Time to scramble another small fermenting vessel.
Hopefully this works, 3 gallon BB on the left, 6 gallon BB on the right.

__________________
Primary: Apfelwein(Wy3068)
Secondary: N/A
On Tap: Surly Bender clone, Chinook IPA
In Bottles: Maple Oatmeal Stout
Planning: Apricot Blonde, ESB, American Wheat
Gallons in 2012: 35

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #270
MrMcPeach
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Campbell, CA
Posts: 70
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Subscribing for later

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Great Modified Apfelwein to Horrible Apfelwein in 1 week? gyrfalcon Cider Forum 12 11-28-2009 08:47 PM
What's your Apfelwein O.G. captianoats Cider Forum 0 06-23-2009 12:07 AM
Apfelwein Chris_Dog Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling 14 12-21-2007 08:20 PM
Apfelwein - MikeFlynn74 Winemaking Forum 8 11-30-2007 05:59 PM
My first apfelwein St. Jon's Wort Cider Forum 0 09-20-2007 10:40 PM


Forum Jump