Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Sponsor Showcase > Sponsor Showcase > Perlick 545 PC with Flow control

Old 01-31-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
tprokop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I bought one of these from MoreBeer (sorry John, it was before you had them), I can answer most of your questions:

- Inner diameter is not the same as the 525, bowie bottler will not work. It's smaller, the bowie will not insert. I even tried with just one set of o-rings, no luck.
- I have poured a few beers (including one that was overcarbed) with good results. I've currently got mine pouring soda (25 psi) on a 4' line. Nothing but good things to report with the function right now.
- You can install them on a standard shank. You lose some of the range of motion of the adjustment lever, but that is by design - you only need the extra range for disassembly, and you won't be taking it apart with it's on the shank.
- I spoke with an engineer at Perlick about the above and about an SS model. Perlick is currently waiting on a small run of samples from a SS batch. If they're happy with the product, they're going to go into full production. It wouldn't be before summertime.

Any other questions let me know. It's a great faucet, I'm planning to switch all mine over as soon as I can get my hands on SS versions.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #22
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Nice. I'm a patient man and don't mind waiting for a stainless variant. I only need one to replace a 425. I'll leave my keezers alone as they have 525SS and 575SS in place with 10 foot 3/16" line so I have no flow control issues. But on my kegerator with a single tap, this would be a nice addition.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #23
Steelers77
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Sorry about the misinformation about the inside diameter of the faucet, it looks identical to the 525's and I was just going on looks.

Get your hops, 85 varieties starting at $.75/oz!

Accuflex Bev Seal Ultra in stock now!

Farmhousebrewingsupply.com

http://farmhousebrewingsupply.com

https://www.facebook.com/Farmhousebrewingsupply

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Farmhousebrew

Old 01-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #24
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 92

No worries but your eye is not a dial micrometer. Just sayin'...

Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 PM   #25
tprokop
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

It looked to me like it could be a match, but it wasn't... The first thing I did when the package came in was bust out the digital calipers to check.

That said, you can adjust the flow to a really slow rate and bottle with these pretty well, even without the bowie. It takes a while but I've had positive results.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #26
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprokop View Post

- Inner diameter is not the same as the 525, bowie bottler will not work. It's smaller, the bowie will not insert. I even tried with just one set of o-rings, no luck.
Hmmm...isn't the 425 smaller than the 525? I know Bowie makes a version (different o rings I think) for the 425.

Is there any way to get the actual specs of that faucet (can you measure the ID for instance?) I'd like to check in and see if it's adaptable. Maybe not, but it's worth investigating.

Incidentally, other than looking shinier, what is the big advantage to going SS? Is there a durability issue with the plated ones? I've had the cheap faucets for years, and other than the sticky/mold issues from being back-sealing, they seem to have held up fine. I would expect the SS flow-control ones to be really pricey!

Old 03-21-2012, 05:12 PM   #27
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts

Just for the record, I got info from the manufacturer on the IDs of various Perlick faucets. Here's what they they told me:

Quote:
425ss beer faucet has .381” inside spout diameter.
525ss beer faucet has .422” inside spout diameter.
545pc beer faucet has .393” (or 10mm) inside spout diameter.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 14

been using these for a few months now, and i like them a lot. have a dunkel at 14 pounds and i can adjust to form any amount of head i desire. if someone made that little insert for one of these so we could bottle off the tap, it would work great because you could control the flow.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:54 AM   #29
BaldHippie
Recipes 

I must have gotten a bad set. I bought 2 to replace the standard faucets that came with my conversion kit. They foam uncontrollably. It doesn't matter how I set the flow: glass full of foam. And they drip.

Switching back to my standard faucets and returning these.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 PM   #30
tprokop
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I ended up having a lot of trouble with them too. When I use them thru the wall of my keezer and the beer/lines/faucet all stayed cold, they worked great. When I moved my taps to my kitchen wall (cooling the lines and the box behind them with the micromatic blower) I get nothing but foam. Faucets are a little warmer now than they were when they were in the keezer, but with normal 525SS the beer pours great.