Just brewed my first batch... but is it over before it begins? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just brewed my first batch... but is it over before it begins?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Stittsville, Ontario
Posts: 354
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts



Hello All,

I just finished my first batch of beer. I am using the Coopers DIY kit, which comes with the Lager. After a lot of research I decided to steep a 1/2 lb of Pale malt in a approx one gal of water. Then, after steeping, I boiled with a 1/2 oz of hallertau hops for 5 min. I added the DME (Brew Enhancer #1 kit) and Can of Lager extract to this, then topped up the water.

However, the water was at about 26 degrees so I put it up on a clean platform out on my covered deck (its -11 C ) here today. The temp on the side got down to 21 so I pulled it back in and pitched. Then the temp went back up to 24.5. I am guessing the temp sticker gauge was reading more of the outside temp than inside.

Is pitching the yeast at 24.5 going to kill me here?

I poured a bit into my hydrometer and it is reading 1.037 ( I think, its just before 40 on the gauge)

Its been about 20 min since pitching and I am now at 23.5. I heard that this is a very sensitive stage.

Did I eff' up?




 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Medford, MA
Posts: 4,125
Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts


pitching that high won't kill you, but get it below 20C (or to 10C if you actually used a lager yeast) asap.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
brewtus_
I say, lookey here son...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
brewtus_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 244
Liked 23 Times on 15 Posts


23.5C is about 74F. That's a bit warm for a lager yeast; however, you can try to bring the temperature down to the proper range and see what happens.

How do you plan on controlling fermentation temperatures in the proper range for your lager yeast (7-15C)?

One other observation: The 1/2 pound pale malt is not going to add any fermentable sugars unless it's mashed first.
__________________
The earlier you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
SocalNat
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
san diego, california
Posts: 100
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHeadGrady View Post
Hello All,

I just finished my first batch of beer. I am using the Coopers DIY kit, which comes with the Lager. After a lot of research I decided to steep a 1/2 lb of Pale malt in a approx one gal of water. Then, after steeping, I boiled with a 1/2 oz of hallertau hops for 5 min. I added the DME (Brew Enhancer #1 kit) and Can of Lager extract to this, then topped up the water.

However, the water was at about 26 degrees so I put it up on a clean platform out on my covered deck (its -11 C ) here today. The temp on the side got down to 21 so I pulled it back in and pitched. Then the temp went back up to 24.5. I am guessing the temp sticker gauge was reading more of the outside temp than inside.

Is pitching the yeast at 24.5 going to kill me here?

I poured a bit into my hydrometer and it is reading 1.037 ( I think, its just before 40 on the gauge)

Its been about 20 min since pitching and I am now at 23.5. I heard that this is a very sensitive stage.

Did I eff' up?
I'm new to brewing as well, I'm on my 7th brew now. On my first one I was sure I screwed up everything about it. But it came out great. You will sweat it and agonize over everything in the beginning. Your results will be quite gratifying, trust me. There are certain people on this board (you will figure out who they are over time) that will give you the best advise you could ever imagine. Listen to them, they are very generous with their knowledge and have been doing it for a long time. I hope you come to enjoy it as much as I do. I have wonderful dreams about making beer. Good luck.
__________________
A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it's better to be completely sure. -- Czech proverb

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #5
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Stittsville, Ontario
Posts: 354
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus_ View Post
23.5C is about 74F. That's a bit warm for a lager yeast; however, you can try to bring the temperature down to the proper range and see what happens.

How do you plan on controlling fermentation temperatures in the proper range for your lager yeast (7-15C)?

One other observation: The 1/2 pound pale malt is not going to add any fermentable sugars unless it's mashed first.
With the Coopers kit, you pitch with Ale yeast (makes sense eh :P). It notes ideal fermenting temp to be between 21-23 for optimal results. Im just hoping that extra degree wont come back to haunt me.

When it comes to messing up fermenting, is a few degrees less better than a few degrees more ?

I will still get a bit more malt flavor from that half lb though? Thats all i am looking for. A bit more malt flavor and a bit of hop profile.

My cold storage is 12C tho. I could do a real lager then? Thats my fav. I just moved the batch into that room to help get this down to 21 ASAP. It hasnt been that long tho.

I love this hobby. Already met one new friend who lives a couple blocks away who's brewing at my LHBS this morning. Nothing like meeting fellow brew mates that are within walking distance


 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
dcp27
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Medford, MA
Posts: 4,125
Liked 125 Times on 121 Posts


the 21-23C is wort temp. active fermentation will bring the temp up 2-5C, so you typically want to pitch a few C less. IMO >21C is too hot for anythign not belgian, wheat, or saison til fermentation tails off anyway. fermenting too high will cause more esters (fruitiness) and can cause fusels (harsh alcohol). too low mostly just puts the yeast to sleep

1/2 lb of 2-row won't add much flavor. try munich or vienna next time

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Stittsville, Ontario
Posts: 354
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


CraigTube's Channel - YouTube

Seems like I am going to be just fine for the most part..I think. Temp is now 21. So the temp went from 24 - 21 in 1.5 hrs of pitching.

Thanks for the advice on the Vienna etc. I am going to brew another batch tomorrow :P.
The Pale Malt was free so I said what the hell.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,519
Liked 3621 Times on 3110 Posts


They always give the OS lager with cooper's brew kits. It uses a 7g packet of their ale yeast,so it's really a light pale ale. & half a pound of brew enhancer 1 won't add much to the mix. Brew Enhancer #1 consists of 60% dextrose,40% maltodextrin. Their light DME is labeled as such.
And 18-20C is a better range for the cooper's ale yeast. So you'll need to get the temps down a little.
__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:22 PM   #9
HopHeadGrady
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Stittsville, Ontario
Posts: 354
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
They always give the OS lager with cooper's brew kits. It uses a 7g packet of their ale yeast,so it's really a light pale ale. & half a pound of brew enhancer 1 won't add much to the mix. Brew Enhancer #1 consists of 60% dextrose,40% maltodextrin. Their light DME is labeled as such.
And 18-20C is a better range for the cooper's ale yeast. So you'll need to get the temps down a little.
Thanks. That temp range will be easy to keep. As far as the brew enhancer, I just used the box that came with the kit. On top of that, I used 1/2 lb of Pale Malt. Steeped that and then boiled with a 1/2 oz haullertau hops for a couple mins. I added about a gallon of this to the coopers kit.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #10
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,607
Liked 351 Times on 305 Posts


Yea, definitely get it down to 18. I wouldn't go any warmer than that.


__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just brewed 2nd batch kevokie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 08-06-2011 06:42 AM
Second batch begins today. Aedan382 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 03-19-2011 09:09 PM
First batch brewed! durban Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 01-10-2011 08:21 PM
Just brewed my third batch... MrVagabond Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 11-02-2009 12:06 AM
Brewed my first batch! dustinhayden Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 09-05-2008 10:16 PM


Forum Jump