Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Beer Alchemy User Guide

Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
geniz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Is there a way of calculating what your pre boil volumes, and therefore your sparge volumes should be? Any way of calculating volume loss to boiling?
This is easy in Beersmith, but I can't find it in BA. I'm trying to decide which one to buy and need to know if this is possible in Alchemy??

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Laziness is Its Creepy Uncle

Old 01-06-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
SnakeAnthony6375
Recipes 

You'll have to determine what you want your preboil volume to be based on what you boil-off. I have a high boil-off rate in my kettle. I start with 9g for a 60-minute boil and 9.75g for a 90-minute boil. After all is said and done (trub in kettle and fermenter, dry-hopping, etc..) I end up with 5g in the keg.

Once you create the recipe, you can ad a 'batch' for that recipe. That will have instructions and what your mash and sparge amounts should be. This is based on the water:grist ratio you set.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
geniz
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeAnthony6375
You'll have to determine what you want your preboil volume to be based on what you boil-off. I have a high boil-off rate in my kettle. I start with 9g for a 60-minute boil and 9.75g for a 90-minute boil. After all is said and done (trub in kettle and fermenter, dry-hopping, etc..) I end up with 5g in the keg.

Once you create the recipe, you can ad a 'batch' for that recipe. That will have instructions and what your mash and sparge amounts should be. This is based on the water:grist ratio you set.
Ok thx. The thing that i don't like us that there is no starting points for "typical" equipment ie, 10gallon igloo cooler etc. I guess I can get my numbers from my old pc version of beersmith.

If Necessity is the Mother of Invention, Laziness is Its Creepy Uncle

Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
SnakeAnthony6375
Recipes 

I hear ya. But it's not that hard to figure out what your numbers will be. If you're brewing in a (relatively) controlled environment and you use the same equipment, you should be able nail it down pretty quickly.