This is my new system. Took a bit longer to totally piece together, but it has been in this state for 2 brews now. It is nearly done - I have a few things to refine, but it is serviceable.
I got the stand from another brewer here as a bare frame. I had to add the kettle centering angle iron, since he used much larger kettles. I like the spacing since it gives me scalability options.
The left tank is the HLT/HEX with 20-25 feet of 3/8 copper tubing inside. Temp sensor is on the output of the coil. On top is an automated stirrer to keep temps constant.
The mashtun is an inverted keg, with a center dump. I wrapped in reflectex insulation, then wood slats to clean up the outside. Currently there is just ratchet straps keeping the wood in place, I need to get metal banding on that - once I figure out how. Inside I have a stainless, domed, false bottom that is attached to an 18" stainless pipe. When I finish my mash, I scoop out most of the spent grain, then pull the pipe/false bottom out and just rinse the rest through the center hole at the bottom. Easier in real life than I imagined. It also has the automated stirrer (needs modification)
I only use/need 1 pump - awesome. I use the chillus convolutus after boil. Also, you can see attached to the wall the control box.
After construction, I was afraid it was going to take a while to dial in the process and recipes, but either by dumb luck or masterful design, both batches to date have hit the number spot on.
Okay, here are the issues/items to address:
- Mash Stirrer - It does not get close enough to the false bottom. Both brews have resulted in momentary stuck mash circulation. I fix by manually stirring and dialing back the recirc flow at the pump
- Kettles - I plan to polish both once everything else is dialed in, and I have free time (read as: it will never happen)
- Dump Valve - I am not happy with the dump valve on my pump. It seems to give me fits, I think a simple nipple and tubing remnant may fix this.
- Mash Tun Straps