water volumes for High Gravity beer - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > water volumes for High Gravity beer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
muthafuggle
 
muthafuggle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
, Utah
Posts: 185
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts



I'm trying a retardedly high-gravity brew for 12-12-12. It's a Scottish strong, and I'm shooting for 12% alcohol (because I'm prosaic like that). I'm using BeerSmith to come up with a recipe, and I'm not sure that the volumes make sense. Here's the recipe:

22 lbs of Golden Promise
1 lb of Caramel 120l
1 oz of Brewer's gold hops
Wyeast 1728 Scottish (7 quart starter)

According to BeerSmith, I mash in with 29 quarts of water.. I'm not sure I'm even reading this correctly.

I only have a 10 gallon cooler. I'm not sure 23 pounds of grain and 7.5 gallons of water will FIT into an igloo cooler.

Also, isn't that water to grist ratio way, way off?

I'm planning on grabbing the first two gallons of runnings and boiling them down to a syrup consistency and then adding that back to the boil.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
__________________
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary: 90 Shilling
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Out of beer... need to brew more.
Kegged: STILL out of beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #2
KuntzBrewing
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Kokomo, Indiana
Posts: 630
Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts


That's 1.25qts/lb and that's pretty normal, ull need to sparge a lot, your cooler will be filled to max capacity, and do not boil your wort to a syrup, that's a good way to end up with an extremely high FG, what makes you want to do this? If you want (it will take twice as long) but do two full mashes with half the grain in each, collect the runnings and sparge from the first then dump the grain and redo, then boil all your wort together

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Maryland
Posts: 2,537
Liked 214 Times on 172 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KuntzBrewing View Post
That's 1.25qts/lb and that's pretty normal, ull need to sparge a lot, your cooler will be filled to max capacity, and do not boil your wort to a syrup, that's a good way to end up with an extremely high FG, what makes you want to do this? If you want (it will take twice as long) but do two full mashes with half the grain in each, collect the runnings and sparge from the first then dump the grain and redo, then boil all your wort together
From the little I've read, the scottish style (which the OP is shooting for) takes a PORTION of the wort and boils to a syrup, then adds back to the boil for a caramel flavor. Don't think it means syrup the entire batch.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
BrewKnurd
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,765
Liked 245 Times on 203 Posts


Beersmith should tell you the mash tun volume required.
__________________
Fake it til you make it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #5
BrewKnurd
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,765
Liked 245 Times on 203 Posts


Well, according to Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators 23 pounds of grain at a 1.25 qt/lb mash thickness will take up 9 gallons.

Warning, I have never used this site for anything before, so I have no idea how accurate it is.
__________________
Fake it til you make it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #6
muthafuggle
 
muthafuggle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
, Utah
Posts: 185
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by william_shakes_beer View Post
From the little I've read, the scottish style (which the OP is shooting for) takes a PORTION of the wort and boils to a syrup, then adds back to the boil for a caramel flavor. Don't think it means syrup the entire batch.
That's why I am only taking 2 gallons out to reduce. Do you have some experience with this style that would tell you that this is too much?
__________________
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary: 90 Shilling
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Out of beer... need to brew more.
Kegged: STILL out of beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,258
Liked 7742 Times on 5432 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
Well, according to Green Bay Rackers--Mash Calculators 23 pounds of grain at a 1.25 qt/lb mash thickness will take up 9 gallons.

Warning, I have never used this site for anything before, so I have no idea how accurate it is.
Um, yes, that's what it says.

I used 23 pound of grain today in a 10 gallon round Igloo cooler with a false bottom. Using 1.25 quarts per pound, it doesn't quite fit. Almost, but not quite.

You'll have to reduce the water in the mash, maybe going to 1.10 quarts/pound.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
muthafuggle
 
muthafuggle's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
, Utah
Posts: 185
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Um, yes, that's what it says.

I used 23 pound of grain today in a 10 gallon round Igloo cooler with a false bottom. Using 1.25 quarts per pound, it doesn't quite fit. Almost, but not quite.

You'll have to reduce the water in the mash, maybe going to 1.10 quarts/pound.
Thanks Yoop! that sounds like a VERY thick mash. Any sage words of advice on this beer?
__________________
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary: 90 Shilling
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Out of beer... need to brew more.
Kegged: STILL out of beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,258
Liked 7742 Times on 5432 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by muthafuggle View Post
Thanks Yoop! that sounds like a VERY thick mash. Any sage words of advice on this beer?
Sage advice? From me.

Hmmm. Just one- don't **** it up.

But if you do, don't worry about it.



Seriously, you're good.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:36 AM   #10
BrewKnurd
 
BrewKnurd's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Prairieville, LA
Posts: 2,765
Liked 245 Times on 203 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Sage advice? From me.

Hmmm. Just one- don't **** it up.

But if you do, don't worry about it.



Seriously, you're good.
and if you DO still feel the need to worry about it, try to keep in mind that some of the worlds greatest discoveries have come from someone ****ing something up.
__________________
Fake it til you make it.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
High gravity beer not carbonating spiny_norman All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 05-17-2016 06:47 PM
High gravity beer in a 5 gallon mash tun mrdauber64 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 01-11-2012 03:56 AM
Low Efficiency on High Gravity Beer busta98 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 03-02-2011 07:05 PM
High Gravity Beer Help Khirsah17 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 8 05-20-2009 11:48 PM
High Gravity Water Use HopTrap All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 04-11-2009 05:29 PM


Forum Jump