Beginner In Need Of Help. - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Beginner In Need Of Help.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #31
BarnsleyBrewer
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Barnsley, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
I used to use a similar pressure barrel up to about 15 years ago. Mine had a flexible pickup tube attached to the spigot and a float on the other end, so the beer was always drawn from the top, and you never got cloudy beer.
As for priming amounts, I hardly ever primed, and got carbonation levels similar to a southern English bitter. You may want a bit more carbonation that I like. 50 g of dextrose (or table sugar) should give you about 1.5 vol C02 (which is a bit high for a draught beer, and a bit low for bottled. I'd start there, and adjust up or down as required for the next brew.

-a.
Excellent ajf thank you.

How should i use the sugar.

Sanitize barrel, add sugar, shake and transfer it?

HBT, The Best Around!

Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #32
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & shootist of air
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3689 Times on 3170 Posts

Nuke 1C of water for 3 minutes or so,then add the sugar & stir to dissolve. cool it down to 22C or so,then add to barrel,racking beer onto it. Then stir lightly so as to mix it well,but not add oxygen.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 PM   #33
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Long Island
Liked 105 Times on 99 Posts

Boil the sugar in a small amount of water (just in case there's anything nasty in the sugar). Let the sugar cool. Sanitize the barrel, add the sugar, rack the beer onto the sugar solution. There's no need to stir it as the yeast will find the sugar and work their magic. The 50 g figure is assuming you have 5 US gallons (19 liters) of beer.

-a.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #34
BarnsleyBrewer
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Barnsley, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr
Nuke 1C of water for 3 minutes or so,then add the sugar & stir to dissolve. cool it down to 22C or so,then add to barrel,racking beer onto it. Then stir lightly so as to mix it well,but not add oxygen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
Boil the sugar in a small amount of water (just in case there's anything nasty in the sugar). Let the sugar cool. Sanitize the barrel, add the sugar, rack the beer onto the sugar solution. There's no need to stir it as the yeast will find the sugar and work their magic. The 50 g figure is assuming you have 5 US gallons (19 liters) of beer.

-a.
Excellent. Thanks for the help.

HBT, The Best Around!