Keezer Build - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Keezer Build

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #1
borovy3488
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Jefferson, Georgia
Posts: 110
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I'm trying to piece together a keezer. As of now, all I have is four pin lock kegs and a co2 regulator. I have $400 from Christmas, and am going to use all of it for this build. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up my freezer tomorrow. It is $50, so that leaves me with $350. Is this enough for a decent three keg set up that can force carb?

I know that I want Perlick faucets, but other than that nothing has to be specific. The kits on kegconnection look good, and I like that they assemble before shipping. But, all of their kits come with a regulator, something I already have. I sent them an email asking for a custom kit, we'll see what they say.

How would you set this up? I'm clueless on what matters in a temp controller. Is there a certain brand I should get? What do you guys recommend?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
Rundownhouse
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Cincinnati, Kentucky
Posts: 331
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


If you can get a CO2 tank off craigslist, you'll likely have money left over. If you've got the kegs and a regulator, the CO2 tank is your last single biggest expense.

For a temp regulator, if you really want to go cheap you don't even need an external one. There's a big thread around here about adjusting your chest freezer's internal thermostat to get keezer temps. If you do want to go external, and all you're doing is serving out of your keezer, you can get a Johnson analog for $50 new. Again, craigslist is your friend: I got one for $15 used.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:01 AM   #3
borovy3488
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Jefferson, Georgia
Posts: 110
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundownhouse
If you can get a CO2 tank off craigslist, you'll likely have money left over. If you've got the kegs and a regulator, the CO2 tank is your last single biggest expense.

For a temp regulator, if you really want to go cheap you don't even need an external one. There's a big thread around here about adjusting your chest freezer's internal thermostat to get keezer temps. If you do want to go external, and all you're doing is serving out of your keezer, you can get a Johnson analog for $50 new. Again, craigslist is your friend: I got one for $15 used.
I found a new 5 pound co2 tank at a local place for $45. Do you have a link to the thread you are talking about?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 02:05 AM   #4
day_trippr
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Stow, MA
Posts: 17,600
Liked 3025 Times on 2262 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by borovy3488 View Post
I found a new 5 pound co2 tank at a local place for $45. Do you have a link to the thread you are talking about?
This one. In that epic thread you'll note many folks have had success, while others not so much...

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #5
tagheuer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Calgary, AB
Posts: 50

If you are a little bit handy, then this one is a good choice for a temperature control.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-parts-261506/

I built one myself, but with different casing. As per the above link, the total build will be roughly $40. You can even save a bit if you have some of the parts laying around (i.e. power cord from computer, wire nuts)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
borovy3488
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Jefferson, Georgia
Posts: 110
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tagheuer
If you are a little bit handy, then this one is a good choice for a temperature control.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-parts-261506/

I built one myself, but with different casing. As per the above link, the total build will be roughly $40. You can even save a bit if you have some of the parts laying around (i.e. power cord from computer, wire nuts)
I saw that one as well. How difficult is it? I've never done any wiring before. Hopefully I can just adjust the freezer I'm getting as per the link above. That would save some money.
The guy I'm getting the freezer from is getting a little iffy now though. Are there any decent deals on new freezers that can hold three kegs and a 5lb co2 tank that you guys know of?

Thanks for all the help!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #7
day_trippr
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Stow, MA
Posts: 17,600
Liked 3025 Times on 2262 Posts


Your local Craig's List is a good place to look. Here's a couple of new, small chest freezers going for small money with a warranty, and here's a large used chest freezer going for $50...

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:23 AM   #8
tagheuer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Calgary, AB
Posts: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by borovy3488 View Post
I saw that one as well. How difficult is it? I've never done any wiring before.
If you never do any wiring before, then I wouldn't suggest building one. Unless you have a buddy / neighbor / family, whom is familiar with high voltage wiring and able to assist you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by borovy3488 View Post
Hopefully I can just adjust the freezer I'm getting as per the link above. That would save some money.
To start, probably it's not a bad idea to just adjust the freezer temp directly. For me, I chose to go with the aquarium temperature controller, since I'm more comfortable in building one then messing around with the freezer mechanical thermostat.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:41 AM   #9
CGVT
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
CGVT's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Spanish Fort, AL
Posts: 2,081
Liked 711 Times on 429 Posts


If you have never done any wiring before, just follow this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-parts-261506/

The controller is cheap, the parts are cheap and there are labeled pictures in the thread. I tried to adjust the thermostat on my freezer, ruined it and had to bypass it. You can follow the directions on the thread and try to adjust it, but the ebay controller build is very easy (and it looks pretty cool when you get it done )
__________________
"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #10
borovy3488
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Jefferson, Georgia
Posts: 110
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CGVT
If you have never done any wiring before, just follow this: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay...-parts-261506/

The controller is cheap, the parts are cheap and there are labeled pictures in the thread. I tried to adjust the thermostat on my freezer, ruined it and had to bypass it. You can follow the directions on the thread and try to adjust it, but the ebay controller build is very easy (and it looks pretty cool when you get it done )
How much do you think it would be, parts and all, to build that controller? It doesn't look like it would be too difficult. Is there much of a difference between that one and the cheap analog controller? Besides the fact that I built it, and it looks pretty cool.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump