Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Styles/Types to brew right NOW

Old 12-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #1
Twtr25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer Styles/Types to brew right NOW

I'm fairly new to brewing and basically I'm going to brew my next batch probably within the next 3-4 weeks or so. Here's my question...

If I'm going to brew towards the end of January, what kind of beer should I do? I guess what I'm looking for are recommendations...based on the season, when it will be ready, etc.

Would love to hear everybody's suggestions!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 25

First of all brew what you like. If you are new to brewing I suggest sticking with simple styles of ale. Pale ale, porter, stout, brown ale are fairly simple to brew, require fermentation conditions that are easy to supply and are ready to drink in a relatively short time.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 522 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I agree with BigEd. Sticking with a simple beer will make it very easy to tell how good or bad your beer is and where it can be improved. If you do a beer with higher alcohol content, one that requires additives or flavors to be added, there is more room for error. The experimental beers are best to do when you already have a supply of good beer on hand to drink, so if you mess up the beer it doesn't mean you're running on empty. It also means that you can drink it sooner, because you don't have to wait for the longer fermentation periods of high alcohol beer, or an aging period.

I started on Hefeweizen and it's an easy beer to start with. Some people don't like the taste, so you should really brew a beer that you like. Pale ale is another good beer to start with because you can drink it early on and it'll taste good without needing aging. When I make porters/stouts I prefer to age them because they build up a lot of character and the flavors balance out more. You don't have to age them though.

If you brew the beer at the end of January, you're looking at it being done fermenting about mid to late February, then a couple of weeks to a month to bottle carb depending...so you're probably looking at something for March. For the early spring, I like having both Hefeweizen and Pale Ale/IPAs on hand.

Another thing you might consider, is that St. Patrick's Day is March 17th and you might want to do an Irish Stout.

Old 12-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Combining what 2 previous guys said - Irish Red Ale

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale