I just wanted to share this story for others that may think its funny or who have done this.
Made a DFH Punkin' Ale clone last Sunday, used 6 gal better bottle and filled it about to 5.75gal or so (a bit to much, but some headroom)
Started fermenting like a champ in about 6 hours. (WLP 001 w/starter of course)
It blew out the top of the airlock, I sanitized another airlock and switched it out, waited about 8 hours after I came home from work and airlock #2 is blown out fermenting beer almost gushing out the top of the airlock, SO I switch it out with the 1st now clean and sanitized airlock etc.
Anyway I had to switch the airlocks out 5 more times in the last three days !!! OMG !!
I took a sample of the wort today and tasted it (after 7 airlock changes & cleanup each time) and luckily no off tastes or signs of infection.
Moral of the story--- USE A BLOW-OFF tube or don't fill the fermentor that full !!
I just wanted to share to point out that if your sanitation is diligent, even if you have to clean up a blowout or change your airlock out 7 TIMES, you can still avoid any issues that will hurt your beer.
Merry Christmas & Happy Homebrew New Year !!!