Question about bitterness - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Question about bitterness

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #11
wisbob79
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Chilton, WI
Posts: 43


Quote:
Originally Posted by RLinNH View Post
Gotta ask because I know some new brewers that have done it. Are you boiling with your specialty grains still in the boil kettle?
Nope! Good question though. I steeped the grains and removed the bag from the kettle.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
RLinNH's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Wrentham, MA
Posts: 1,014
Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts


That would answer the tanins from the husks then. Hmmmmm. I just don't see water being as issue with the bitterness that you are describing. I'm anxious to see if the bottled water helps. Let us know how your next batch turns out.
__________________
You Can Give A Man A Fish and Feed Him For a Day, or You Can Teach Him To Fly Fish And Spoil Him For Life

On Deck Hmmmmmmm
Primary Super Sessionable III
Secondary
On TapAmerican Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
wisbob79
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Chilton, WI
Posts: 43


Maybe I need to drive a couple of bottles up to Yooper since she isn't terribly far away from me...she could tell me what this is!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 PM   #14
wisbob79
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Chilton, WI
Posts: 43


OK. As noted in the OP, my Irish Stout had the same bitterness. It's been bottled now for 8 weeks. I just cracked one that I put in the fridge 3 days ago. The bitterness has subsided slightly, but it now has a coppery taste to it. Does that give any clues?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #15
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
RLinNH's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Wrentham, MA
Posts: 1,014
Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts


Copper and Band Aid flavors are Characteristics of Bleach residue and also fusel alcohols. So my 2 questions would be 1)- Do you use Bleach as a Sanitizing agent and 2) what are your fermentation temps. Please forgive me if these have already been addressed. I haven't read the whole post as I am currently in the middle of a brew session.

As far as Yopper being someone to mail a couple of bottles to, yup, I agree. From everything I have read and the interactions I have had with her, she would be your huckelberry.
__________________
You Can Give A Man A Fish and Feed Him For a Day, or You Can Teach Him To Fly Fish And Spoil Him For Life

On Deck Hmmmmmmm
Primary Super Sessionable III
Secondary
On TapAmerican Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 PM   #16
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,738
Liked 8015 Times on 5601 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbob79 View Post
Maybe I need to drive a couple of bottles up to Yooper since she isn't terribly far away from me...she could tell me what this is!
Hahaha- you're threatening to bring me bad beer?!?!

Actually, you're probably right. Maybe not me, but sometimes you can get someone with lots of judging experience to be able to nail the flavor for you. If it's phenolic, that points to water chemistry or infection, for example. If it's tannic, that points towards grain issues, but also water chemistry also. Oxidation also can be a weird bitterness, usually on the sides of the tongue. An experienced judge could probably help you.

For now, I'd try one thing at a time different in each batch. For the next batch, use only distilled or reverse osmosis water. Do it the same exact way, and change only that. If that fixes the problem, then you know it's the water.

For the next batch, use only dry yeast (S05). For the next, use DME. And so on, until the flavor goes away.

I really don't think it's technique, as it's much more likely it's water related. But if you go through fixing those first, and it's still an issue we can consider oxidation, yeast underpitching, and so on.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:02 PM   #17
wisbob79
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Chilton, WI
Posts: 43


Quote:
Originally Posted by RLinNH View Post
Copper and Band Aid flavors are Characteristics of Bleach residue and also fusel alcohols. So my 2 questions would be 1)- Do you use Bleach as a Sanitizing agent and 2) what are your fermentation temps. Please forgive me if these have already been addressed. I haven't read the whole post as I am currently in the middle of a brew session.

As far as Yopper being someone to mail a couple of bottles to, yup, I agree. From everything I have read and the interactions I have had with her, she would be your huckelberry.
I use PBW to clean and Star-San to sanitize. My Stout did have some issues with fermentation temps, but the strange thing is that my Cream Ale had no issues with ferm temps (66-68 deg) and it has the same bitter issue going on. The Stout has only recently developed the metallic taste. The bottles I refrigerated 4 weeks ago did not have that quality.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #18
wisbob79
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Chilton, WI
Posts: 43


Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Hahaha- you're threatening to bring me bad beer?!?!

Actually, you're probably right. Maybe not me, but sometimes you can get someone with lots of judging experience to be able to nail the flavor for you. If it's phenolic, that points to water chemistry or infection, for example. If it's tannic, that points towards grain issues, but also water chemistry also. Oxidation also can be a weird bitterness, usually on the sides of the tongue. An experienced judge could probably help you.

For now, I'd try one thing at a time different in each batch. For the next batch, use only distilled or reverse osmosis water. Do it the same exact way, and change only that. If that fixes the problem, then you know it's the water.

For the next batch, use only dry yeast (S05). For the next, use DME. And so on, until the flavor goes away.

I really don't think it's technique, as it's much more likely it's water related. But if you go through fixing those first, and it's still an issue we can consider oxidation, yeast underpitching, and so on.
I really hope it's a water issue Yooper. It'll cost me a little extra, but it'd totally be worth it to have beer that tastes right. I'm seriously considering dumping this Cream Ale and starting over with RO water. Is that too extreme?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 PM   #19
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
RLinNH's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2006
Wrentham, MA
Posts: 1,014
Liked 28 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbob79 View Post
I really hope it's a water issue Yooper. It'll cost me a little extra, but it'd totally be worth it to have beer that tastes right. I'm seriously considering dumping this Cream Ale and starting over with RO water. Is that too extreme?
WAY TO EXTREME!!! Do not ever dump a beer. It'll get more palatable with age.
__________________
You Can Give A Man A Fish and Feed Him For a Day, or You Can Teach Him To Fly Fish And Spoil Him For Life

On Deck Hmmmmmmm
Primary Super Sessionable III
Secondary
On TapAmerican Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #20
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,738
Liked 8015 Times on 5601 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbob79 View Post
I really hope it's a water issue Yooper. It'll cost me a little extra, but it'd totally be worth it to have beer that tastes right. I'm seriously considering dumping this Cream Ale and starting over with RO water. Is that too extreme?
don't dump it (yet)! keep it. Make it again with RO or distilled water, and make sure you use dry S05 yeast because you may well have underpitched with only one vial of WLP001. Using dry yeast if you don't want to pitch two vials of liquid yeast will fix that issue as well.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bitterness question Farmer_Ted Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 04-02-2011 08:46 PM
question about bitterness donjonson Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-21-2011 11:07 PM
Question about hop bitterness. brewd00d Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 12-27-2010 01:35 AM
APA extract recipe bitterness question SoonerDoc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 07-05-2010 05:52 PM
bitterness unit question billk911 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 03-04-2009 03:56 PM


Forum Jump