Quick question about using fresh berries... - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Quick question about using fresh berries...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #1
CiderScot
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Posts: 27


I have almost 3 gallons of cider that I ran through primary fermentation and then crushed and added 3 packages of raspberries to on 10/27. I went to bottle it today and the top looks moldy but it smells fine, you can definitely smell berries.

I've used berries before but never let them sit this long and I'm wondering at this point whether this batch is safe. I'd like to bottle tonight and was hoping to get some feedback here.

Thanks.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-787928397.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	41352  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
UpstateMike
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Brockport, NY
Posts: 930
Liked 155 Times on 92 Posts


Are you sure that's mold and not a krausen (the foamy, meringue-like head that develops during the initial stage of beer fermentation.) Take a look at my Cider with Blackberries thread and look at the pic from day 5.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Oh, and get a hydrometer. Psychic brewing is great and all, but hard numbers get rid of MUCH of the guess work.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #3
CiderScot
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Posts: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike
Are you sure that's mold and not a krausen (the foamy, meringue-like head that develops during the initial stage of beer fermentation.) Take a look at my Cider with Blackberries thread and look at the pic from day 5.
It's possible I guess. It doesn't smell bad like I said. This was a five gallon batch originally. I split almost three gallons away after the primary fermentation and kept two gallons without berries. That batch has no foamy head. Maybe the sugar in the berries resulted in further fermentation?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
UpstateMike
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Brockport, NY
Posts: 930
Liked 155 Times on 92 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CiderScot View Post
Maybe the sugar in the berries resulted in further fermentation?
Probably.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
Oh, and get a hydrometer. Psychic brewing is great and all, but hard numbers get rid of MUCH of the guess work.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #5
Atek
Recipes 
 
May 2010
, South Dakota
Posts: 429
Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts


I'd pull a sample from under it and taste it, if it tastes alright, bottle from under it.
__________________
"Gaurd your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and out live the bastards."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
CiderScot
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Posts: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atek
I'd pull a sample from under it and taste it, if it tastes alright, bottle from under it.
Ok, I did this and it tasted fine, and I'm alive and well this morning, now wrenching or vomiting! I bottled it, leaving quite a bit with the berries that I flushed down the garbage disposal. Thanks for the help guys.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #7
CiderScot
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Posts: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiderScot

Ok, I did this and it tasted fine, and I'm alive and well this morning, now wrenching or vomiting! I bottled it, leaving quite a bit with the berries that I flushed down the garbage disposal. Thanks for the help guys.
This should read NOT wrenching or vomiting.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
GinKings
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 582
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


Adding 3 packages of berries probably did restart fermentation, but only a little bit. I believe raspberries are only about 5% sugar. They were added 8 weeks ago, so I'd be surprised if you saw krausen yesterday. I think you were right when you thought it was mold. You shouldn't leave fruit floating in your cider for that long.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
CiderScot
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Posts: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinKings
Adding 3 packages of berries probably did restart fermentation, but only a little bit. I believe raspberries are only about 5% sugar. They were added 8 weeks ago, so I'd be surprised if you saw krausen yesterday. I think you were right when you thought it was mold. You shouldn't leave fruit floating in your cider for that long.
Do you think the cider I pulled from beneath and bottled is safe to drink since the sample didn't affect me though?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,406
Liked 7836 Times on 5490 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by CiderScot View Post
Do you think the cider I pulled from beneath and bottled is safe to drink since the sample didn't affect me though?
Yes, but watch the bottles for mold/infection. I leave berries or other fruit for 5-7 days in the cider/wine. You also had a ton of headspace there, which you don't want once fermentation slows.

You'll probably have a while before the whole batch is infected, but keep an eye out for bottle bombs and infected bottles.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump