Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Capping issues
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2011, 09:11 PM   #1
jtmwhyte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Westville, NS
Posts: 73
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Capping issues

I bottled my second batch and encountered a strange problem. My caps had a really hard time staying on the bottles. This did not happen once with my first batch.luckily I had cleaned enough Grolsch swingtops to save the day. I guess my question is what could the problem be? Here are some troubleshooting scenarios I ran through:

1) the bottles
My bottles are standard brown and do not differ from those used in my first batch.

2) the caps
I used caps from a different shop, but they seem to be identical silver caps. Are there different types?

3) I soaked caps in starsan instead of sodium meta.

4) my capper could be broken.
I have a hand capper and it seems to slip sideways a touch.

thoughts welcome


jtmwhyte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #2
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Smithfield, VA
Posts: 604
Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Are they by chance, "twist off" bottles. I've capped those by mistake and they didn't work out too well. Other than that, I can't see what it could be, other than a broken capper.


__________________
Brewers make wort, Yeast make beer!!!!
ETCS is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
jtmwhyte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Westville, NS
Posts: 73
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

They are twist off, but so were the entire previous batch and none did this. I also tried it with some pop tops bottles and only successfully capped one. Also, I have known many people to bottle homebrew, all on screw offs.
jtmwhyte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,362
Liked 314 Times on 271 Posts
Likes Given: 344

Default

You should really get away from using the screw cap bottles. I would call that the problem. I know you used them last time, and some brewers use them with no problems, but unless you have a bench capper, then I wouldn't risk it. You may have damaged the crown on your capper, or some other part, capping the previous batch. Hard to say though. I would try those caps on some pop top bottles and see how it goes.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com
daksin is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
roaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hutto, TX
Posts: 9
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

If the caps and the bottles are the same I would start looking at the capper to see if there is something wrong with it.
roaster is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:29 PM   #6
jtmwhyte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Westville, NS
Posts: 73
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmwhyte View Post
They are twist off, but so were the entire previous batch and none did this. I also tried it with some pop tops bottles and only successfully capped one. Also, I have known many people to bottle homebrew, all on screw offs.
See the above post... I did try with pop tops... Thanks for helping me troubleshoot people!
jtmwhyte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
TopherM
BJCP ID: F0838
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
TopherM's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 3,955
Liked 440 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

There are standard bottle caps, then there are specialty bottle caps that only fit certain types of specialty bottles, like true Belgian beer bottles. I bet you accidentally picked up some non-standard bottle caps. The difference is only like 1/8", but that's all it takes!
__________________
Primary #1 - Midnight Ryeder (Midnight Wheat and Rye)
Primary #2 - Florida Weiss
Primary #3 - Kane-DOH APA (Honey Citra APA)
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Raspberry Florida Weiss
Keg #2 - Cinnamon Raisin Cider
Keg #3 - NONE!
Bottled - NONE!
TopherM is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:02 PM   #8
BrewMU
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Columbia, MO
Posts: 516
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Here's an opinion from a lazy man who has never and will never cap a bottle: drink more Grolsch, or order some flippies, and never worry about what kind of bottle-caps you need.
BrewMU is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:34 AM   #9
jtmwhyte
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Westville, NS
Posts: 73
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Found the problem. The caps were not the same. They were a goldish-silver and were ever so slightly bigger than the silver. You can't even tell until you put one inside of the other. Thanks for all the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmwhyte View Post
I bottled my second batch and encountered a strange problem. My caps had a really hard time staying on the bottles. This did not happen once with my first batch.luckily I had cleaned enough Grolsch swingtops to save the day. I guess my question is what could the problem be? Here are some troubleshooting scenarios I ran through:

1) the bottles
My bottles are standard brown and do not differ from those used in my first batch.

2) the caps
I used caps from a different shop, but they seem to be identical silver caps. Are there different types?


3) I soaked caps in starsan instead of sodium meta.

4) my capper could be broken.
I have a hand capper and it seems to slip sideways a touch.

thoughts welcome
jtmwhyte is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #10
tommyguner03
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: st charles, il
Posts: 350
Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 93

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmwhyte View Post
Found the problem. The caps were not the same. They were a goldish-silver and were ever so slightly bigger than the silver. You can't even tell until you put one inside of the other. Thanks for all the replies!
well no sh*t!! i just had the same issue.. looks like im heading to my LHBS and talk to them about it


tommyguner03 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools



Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS