Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Mash vs Sparge additions.

Old 12-23-2011, 04:35 AM   #11
ajdelange
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 952 Times on 753 Posts
Likes Given: 26

No, I don't recommend that but I don't recommend against it either. If you monitor runoff pH and extract and they are within bounds on the second batch I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it that way but I don't really see any advantage over the more traditional sparging method either. Doesn't mean there may not be some for your particular situation.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange
No, I don't recommend that but I don't recommend against it either. If you monitor runoff pH and extract and they are within bounds on the second batch I don't see any reason why you couldn't do it that way but I don't really see any advantage over the more traditional sparging method either. Doesn't mean there may not be some for your particular situation.
I think some people, including myself have gotten better efficiency with this method. If I use the method I reach 70-75 efficiency in my system. If I do the single sparge, I miss my target

Old 01-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #13
kenc_zymurgy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdelange View Post
I don't know what "effective alkalinity" is. Sounds like something from one of the spreadsheets but I can't even look at those. Since Microsoft has "improved" their software I can no longer spreadsheets from versions of Excel earlier than 2011 and I can't run versions earlier than 2011 with Apple's "improved" operating system.
You've helped us so much with water chemistry, maybe I can return the favor with a little spreadsheet help?

The programs should be able to read older versions, but I have seen Microsoft screw this up in the past. A couple ideas:

1) Rather than just double-clicking the file, or right-click and 'open', try going to your spreadsheet program and selecting File/Open from the menu of the spreadsheet program, and drill down to where the file is. You might have a problem where the file is not associated with your newer program - this should get around that.

2) Download LibreOffice. This is open source and free, and they will load just about anything (macros can be a problem though).

Home LibreOffice

-kenc