Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Opening a Pub / Feedback please!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
RandomBeerGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default Opening a Pub / Feedback please!

So over last weekend I spoke with my busniess partner. We both came to the conclusion that after the christmas madness we will start scoping out our locations. We have ideal's for 4 total cities. Starting January we will head out to each location and stop at the local pubs and see if we can hand out our survey of 5 questions. As long as the pub will let us. So I thought might as well get your input. Feel free, please note that this is a survey of your own opinion. All the feed back is appreciated. We will be starting off small serving beer and food. Then in about 6 months or so of success. We will then expand and build our brewhouse and start serving our beers as well. We have many great idea's and are moving towards planning but we would like your input. Please do not quote the survey. That would be a mess. if you go with answer (E) Please place in a suggestion. This is to help us, help the public with serving only the best every time. No question is a dumb question please ask.

1. What type of food do you like to eat in a pub setting?
A. Burger's and Fries
B. Toasted sandwiches, soups, and salads
C. Appetizers (hot poppers, chicken wings, ect)
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
Suggestion:

2. How many beer selections would you like to see?
A. 5+
B. 10+
C. 20+
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
Suggestions:

3. What type of entertainment do you enjoy?
A. Sports and Events
B. Pool table, darts, arcade, ect
C. Music
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
Suggestions:

4. How often do you frequent a pub in a week?
A. 1-2
B. 2-4
C. 4-7
D All of the above
E. None of the above
Suggestion:

5. What type of decor/theme would you like to see?
A. Sport's
B. Automovtive
C. Social
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
Suggestion:

Reason: Spelling issues

Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 79

1. A
2. D
3. E -- A dart board isn't bad, but I don't like the atmosphere that pool brings to a quality brew-spot (I love playing pool, that isn't the point I'm making). A flat screen or two with football on isn't bad, but sports bars are loud and lame to me (but in your area they might be a huge market). I like a low key, mellow, loungy and stylish atmosphere with good (non-live) music playing. That's my very personal ideal.
4. A
5. see 3

good luck!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I think you need to revise you answer options to get better feedback. Or maybe tell us what you are looking to gain from each of the questions.

1) thats all standard pub fare/american that I would expect to get anywhere, maybe ask what types of food people like to eat american, tex mex, breakfast etc. stuff like that.

2) What is this going to tell you besides variety? I want a brewpub to make great beer, if 20 offerings will result in unclean lines or so-so beer than I want less offerings. Id try to get and idea of what type of beer people like to drink so you can get an idea of how many "staples" you will have and then you can suppliment seasonals as space necessitates

3) Solid question

4) Good question, might also want to somehow ask if weekly specials are incentives to a person attending a brewpub - cheap pint nights, cheap wings etc.

5) Not really sure if this is necessary, should be able to work with a theme based on question number 3

Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
I think you need to revise you answer options to get better feedback. Or maybe tell us what you are looking to gain from each of the questions.

1) thats all standard pub fare/american that I would expect to get anywhere, maybe ask what types of food people like to eat american, tex mex, breakfast etc. stuff like that.

2) What is this going to tell you besides variety? I want a brewpub to make great beer, if 20 offerings will result in unclean lines or so-so beer than I want less offerings. Id try to get and idea of what type of beer people like to drink so you can get an idea of how many "staples" you will have and then you can suppliment seasonals as space necessitates

3) Solid question

4) Good question, might also want to somehow ask if weekly specials are incentives to a person attending a brewpub - cheap pint nights, cheap wings etc.

5) Not really sure if this is necessary, should be able to work with a theme based on question number 3
Thanks for the input, We just want your opinion. We have our out of the box ideals. You can always place a suggestion in the suggestion area. Answer them to what you would like to see in a pub. Think outside the box. Your ultimate pub spot. No worries on the lines being dirty they will always be cleaned and inspected every night before going home.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:47 PM   #5
J8D
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You should go onto "survey monkey" or some similar site and build a well thought out and detailed survey we can just take a hyperlink to. I would gladly answer any questions you have. With folks from all over the U.S. and world, you could even find out what areas are truly lacking an adequate brewpub/microbrew. Perhaps your 5 or 6 cities may not be the best choices. FYI, Sandy Oregon will give you the land for free to build a microbrew place. You may also want to visit the "dream brew pub thread" where some of us have posted some thoughts.

---------------------------------------------
Stout Faucet: Guinness Clone
Faucet 1: Tongue Twister IIPA
Faucet 2: American White
Faucet 3: Wheat #2
Satellite Faucet: Walking Dead Guy Ale
Primary 1/2: Simcoe Pale Ale
Secondary 1/2: What You Do IPA

Upcoming Brews: Belgian Pale Ale

Total gallons brewed: 470 gallons

Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J8D View Post
You should go onto "survey monkey" or some similar site and build a well thought out and detailed survey we can just take a hyperlink to. I would gladly answer any questions you have. With folks from all over the U.S. and world, you could even find out what areas are truly lacking an adequate brewpub/microbrew. Perhaps your 5 or 6 cities may not be the best choices. FYI, Sandy Oregon will give you the land for free to build a microbrew place. You may also want to visit the "dream brew pub thread" where some of us have posted some thoughts.
Great idea for the survey monkey. We dont want to make a survey that takes all day to do. This is just a quick survey to be done in seconds.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by randombeerguy View Post

A. Burger's and fries
b. Toasted sandwiches, soups, and salad's
c. Appetizer's (hot poppers, chicken wings, ect)
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
suggestion: pretty tired of the same old crap pub food, time to do something completely different. Nothing better than wood oven pizza and assorted other things made that way. Roasted meats/chicken used for sandwiches.

A. 5+
b. 10+
c. 20+
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
suggestions: Depends on what you think you can move reasonably well and turn a profit. Play it by ear!

3. What type on entertainment do you enjoy?
A. Sports and events
b. Pool table, darts, arcade, ect
c. Music
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
suggestions: Live! Jazz some nights, rock others, etc.

A. 1-2
b. 2-4
c. 4-7
d all of the above
e. None of the above
suggestion: I would go if someone would make it special.

A. Sport's
b. Automovtive
c. Social
d. All of the above
e. None of the above
suggestion:whatever that means?
. . . . .

Old 12-22-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
justinakajuice
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Watch Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares. About 3 episodes of that show or one like it will help you understand some of the restaurant side of the house. He may be an A-hole, but he does know his stuff. Keep things simple. If I go to a bar it should be for what kind of bar it is. If you are catering towards a brewpub, try to get a healthy amount of craft beers on tap, gradually introducing your own. You need the people that enjoy the type of beer you want to make to already be coming to your establishment.

Keep the bar food normal on the menu with your own personal touches. I should be able to recite half the food on your menu before I even see it. You need burgers, fries, onion rings, wings with 5+ different sauces, a Portabello mushroom/non-meat eater type dish, chicken sandwich fried/grilled, NY Strip/Sirloin/Ribeye, etc. You know the food. Make sure you have great tasting app's, too. If I'm going to booze, I don't want to get filled up with food, I want to drink all that awesome brew!

There's also another show that's called something like 'save my bar' that's great to watch to see what they are doing to go out of business. Not to mention they fix the bar to give an example of what it should be ran like.

Theme nights. Everyone loves theme nights!

Hope some/any of this helps or gives you an idea or thought. Cheers! -Juice

Bucket-American Wheat
Kegged-Brown Ale
Next Kits-Breakfast Stout, Dunkel

Old 12-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
Teromous
Beer Gnome

Recipes 

Liked 509 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 59

A. Burger's and Fries
B. Toasted sandwiches, soups, and salad's
C. Appetizer's (hot poppers, chicken wings, ect)
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
Suggestion: I would eat all of the above, but I marked the one I eat the most. Also, grande nachos.

A. 5+
B. 10+
C. 20+
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
Suggestions: I like variety on a menu, but I hate it when a place has a huge menu and they only have half of the stuff in stock...or you can tell it's been sitting around for a while in the freezer because it tastes bad.

3. What type on entertainment do you enjoy?
A. Sports and Events
B. Pool table, darts, arcade, ect
C. Music
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
Suggestions: I think for it to be a nice place, it should have a bit of everything.

A. 1-2
B. 2-4
C. 4-7
D All of the above
E. None of the above
Suggestion: I don't go out to eat/drink too often...and when I do, I just wing it.

A. Sport's
B. Automovtive
C. Social
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
Suggestion: A bar is a bar.

Old 12-22-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Kaotica
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'll throw out a couple things. I hit after work pubs in NE Charlotte a couple times per week with 15ish coworkers and a couple times per week with my wife and neighbors. My personal opinion for atmosphere is along the lines of our local Taco Mac. But we rarely go their because the food is mediocre, and the bartenders and servers are slow and inexperienced. We have a Flying Saucer nearby that smells like old beer and feet, so only go there if we're sitting outside. It is really aggravating to stare at an empty glass for 5 min or have a server look baffled when you ask them to redo a $6 Pint of Guinness that they brought out with a 4" head. "do we only pay 3/4 the price for 3/4 of a beer?"

The places we all go to the most often are the ones with excellent food and service and at least a serviceable beer menu. My wife doesn't even drink and the 1st place she always wants to go is Joe's Sports Bar cause the food is Consistently excellent, but it's just bar food, burgers, cheese steaks, buff chicken wrap... I can get Guinness, Newcastle, or Yeugling on tap there. not the best, but far cry better than BMC.

For the questions:
1. Sports more or less, like see something on a couple TVs.
2. 10 is enough for me as long as there are 6 or 7 good non-commercial options
3. Whatever. TV with sports center, I'm always with friends and want to be able to have a conversation without shouting over the entertainment.
4. Above, prolly 3-4 / week with a typical group of 4 or 5
5. Decor, whatever. Cool to see local craft brewers glasses, signs, mirrors or whatever.

Taco Mac is cool I spose, but $6.50/pint with crappy service and mediocre food keeps us away for their 100 beers on tap. And I wouldn't mind paying that if I wasn't so annoyed every time I went there.

GL