We have been working on the control box over the last few days. I would highly suggest buying the punch tools that Kal suggests or at least spending the money to buy good step bits. We are using the $15 ones from Harbor Freight and they are making this a very long and painful process. One thing that in found that helps a lot is drilling one step on the bits and then grinding the lip down on the inside and outside of the box. I have a drill press and that is making the job a lot easier, but it is too small to reach the two middle holes hence the picture of the cover clamped to the work bench. I also made the decision to move the lights and switches for the pumps to the left of the panel. That gives me some room in case I want to add something else in the future (like two flow meters).
The bottom of the box is done. We didn’t follow Kal’s design here and will show pictures of the final install after we clean and paint the box.
We took the mounting board out of the control box so we could drill the mount holes with the drill press. Since we were unable to find the cord that Kal references in his build, we went a different route. What we ended up doing is buying a spa panel, take the guts out of it and mounting the GFCI to the mounting board. I had thought about just putting a GFCI in my garage sub panel, but the GFCIs where more expensive than the spa panel. I had also thought about mounting the spa panel next to my sub panel in my garage, but I kind of want to keep this thing portable so the best design I could come up with. We are building in the safety safe start interlock so we ended up getting four relays which are mounted along the bottom. Below the relays is the shunt for the AMP display.
Over the weekend we got the stuff to build the CFC. I texted my buddy that can solder and he said come on over. About 30 minutes later we ended up with a CFC. I still need to weld in one more cross member as I want it semi securely connected to the main frame.
1. We wound the copper around a paint can. I would highly suggest building the ends and getting the vinyl tube on top of the copper before trying to build a nice looking coil.
2. I decided to mount the CVC below the mash tank for two reasons. The first was we didn’t want I right above the boil vessel where hot steam would be hitting it. The second reason is that we will hardly need any hose to get from the BV to the pump to the CVC. This of course means less wasted beer being left behind in the lines.
The remaining parts for the weldless fitting are scheduled to show up today. I still have about a hundred things to do, but we are getting closer. I would really like to finish working on the control box tonight, but I guess we will see what the wife has scheduled for me.