Side by Side Kegerator - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators & Keezers > Side by Side Kegerator

Old 12-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #11
Skagdog
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2011
Fairbanks, AK
Liked 39 Times on 33 Posts

Yeah, you to. I didn't mean to hijack. That's great side by side you've got there.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:21 AM   #12
Aunt_Ester
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Charlottesville, Virginia
Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

I love how the OP rigged his thermal probe! Big prost!

Old 04-27-2016, 09:27 PM   #13
Max1
Recipes 

Apr 2016

Great job! I have a few questions:

What did you use for the metal skin on the inside of the freezer door?
What do the switches do on the inside of the fridge door, as I thought the controller would handle everything automatically?
What type of heater did you use?

Old 04-27-2016, 11:52 PM   #14
cas3439
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Max1,
I'll post the replies here to both threads. You may have the answers already from reading the other thread.

1. I just used metal flashing from Home Depot to line the doors.

2. Everything is controlled automatically by the controllers. I just didn't want the fans or heater running if I was doing something prolonged in the fridge side. I also wanted the ability to only run 1 fan (which I do most of the time), unless I needed to cold crash quick.

3. This is the heater: Lasko 102 My Heat Personal Heater. This thing works great and is only 200 watts. Even better is the price, for just over $20. In my opinion, this makes the light bulb in a paint can seem archaic. I picked mine up at Walmart, but they are available in other stores. Heres a link to Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/41248980?w...549289&veh=sem

4. From the other thread: Just curious why you chose Love controllers over STC-1000F controllers. Cost difference is pretty significant and both appear to have the same features. Relay amperage?

Back when I built these the STC-1000's were available but only displayed in Celsius and I didnt feel like converting everything to a chart stuck on the fridge. I can't remember but I do think that one of the contacts is rated at a higher amperage.

Here is the link to the other build, just in case anybody wants to look at it.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=316056

Old 04-28-2016, 01:00 AM   #15
Max1
Recipes 

Apr 2016

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! I believe you are correct with the amperage. Again... awesome job! Time for me to get to work!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:15 PM   #16
SGTSparty
Recipes 

Apr 2016
Detroit (Berkley), MI
Liked 68 Times on 48 Posts

Looks great, question, how did you do your paint? I'm looking at refacing/painting/something-ing my side-by-side kegerator and yours looks great, what type if prep did you do and do you remember what type of paint you used? i know this is an zombie thread but just thought i'd check.
Keg 2: Bell's 2 Hearted Clone
Keg 3: Blue Moon Clone
Keg 4: RJBanks Shandy

Old 07-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #17
cas3439
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

I just prepped it by wiping it down since the fridge was already in great condition. I just used regular Rustolium spray paint. It's held up great with only minor scratches but she now sits in her third house since being born. Zombie thread? Ha Plenty of time to answer as I'm brewing right now!

Old 07-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #18
SGTSparty
Recipes 

Apr 2016
Detroit (Berkley), MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3439 View Post
I just prepped it by wiping it down since the fridge was already in great condition. I just used regular Rustolium spray paint. It's held up great with only minor scratches but she now sits in her third house since being born. Zombie thread? Ha Plenty of time to answer as I'm brewing right now!
Zombie thread, as in back from the dead lol Thanks for the response. I want to paint my side by side but SWMBO doesn't really dig the chalk board idea so I'm leaning towards painting it a cool color, maybe stenciling on my brewery logo or something. Curious because for the Appliance paint your suppose to sand it down spray it but those colors suck (black/white/SS only) and the chalk your suppose to sand or prime first but mine is already up and running, i'd rather just tape it off, put some drop clothes down, unplug, spray, re plug repeat for each coat as needed lol

Old 07-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #19
cas3439
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Since I doubt that the kegerator is going in the kitchen and more likely into the garage or basement, I would go with your plan. I also didn't want the plain colors available in appliance paint. I painted mine in the garage and there was definitely a lot of over-spray. I just put down newspaper and that worked. Post a pic when you are finished!

Old 07-29-2016, 06:20 PM   #20
SGTSparty
Recipes 

Apr 2016
Detroit (Berkley), MI

Will do, might be quite a while. Its in the semi finished basement and actively full of beer (and kid snacks in the freezer) so its going to be a process to get it done w/o having to completely disassemble but i'm hoping if i just go crazy w/ drop clothes and painters tape i should be ok? those are probably famous last words but i've said that on every step of the build thus far and its gone ok lol