Tobaccoless Cigar Stout recipe (Maduro Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
US-05/US-04
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
-
Batch Size (Gallons)
-
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
-
IBU
-
Color
-
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
-
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
-
Additional Fermentation
-
Tasting Notes
-
Ok there were a bunch of people interested, not to long ago, in a WORKING recipe. This is NOT my recipe. It is called Maduro Stout. This recipe/beer was made by a fellow homebrew club member because she wanted to have a stout to go with her cigar. I am NOT a cigar smoker but when I did smoke, I had my share. IMO this recipe/beer tastes + smells like an unlit cigar to me and uses 0 tobacco. The recipe is EXACTLY as was given to me and it is an extract recipe so anyone can make it. I was given permission by her to repost it here. It is in metric and the hops are in grams. enjoy!

WARNING: Using tobacco to brew with can cause nicotine poisoning to the point of sickness and/or death. NEVER BREW WITH TOBACCO!!!

Type: Extract
Batch size: 9.46 L
Boil size:16.05 L
Boil time: 60 minutes

1.50 kg LME Dark Traditional (Briess)
0.23 kg Black malt - 2row (Briess)
0.23 kg caramel/crystal malt - 120L
0.23 kg Munich 10L (Briess)
0.23 kg Wheat Flaked
0.11 kg Roasted barley
0.06 kg peat smoked malt
0.06 kg smoked malt

14.17 gm Sterling 60 min
14.17 gm Glacier 15 min

Steep grains 30-60 min.
OG:1.055
FG:1.025
ABV: 3.5%
IBU: 30.9
SRM: 50

Yeast strain: US-05/US-04 or Wyeast 1084
Starter: No (You should still make one!)

Secondary onto medium french oak chips to taste but do NOT over oak this. When it tastes like a cigar you are done.

CO2 Vol: 2.4
Primed with corn sugar
Bottle condition 28 days minimum

very interesting, what is the general timeline for letting it sit on the french oak chips? 1 - 2 weeks? a month?

very interesting, what is the general timeline for letting it sit on the french oak chips? 1 - 2 weeks? a month?

I was told it was 1-2 weeks but "to taste" is the best descriptor she gave me. She also noted that you did not want to over oak it. In her words, "When it tastes like a cigar you are done." :)

subbed. I will check this out when I'm sober. I ****in' love Maduro (or double Maduro) cigars.

I want to try this, but I have a few questions. Recipe says "Batch size: 9.46 L
Boil size:16.05 L" this can't be right for the boil size, but what are we looking at here for the batch size? Also how much do I need for oak chips? Thanks.

I want to try this, but I have a few questions. Recipe says "Batch size: 9.46 L
Boil size:16.05 L" this can't be right for the boil size, but what are we looking at here for the batch size? Also how much do I need for oak chips? Thanks.

I think that the recipe is what they gave me. :) IMO the numbers are right because you would loose about 5L in a 60 minute boil. I will bet they scaled it up to do a 5 gallon batch.

The oak is pretty light so you do not need a ton from what I remember. I would think a 1 - 2 oz bag would be fine because you want to oak it to taste not on a time.

Back