Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > No fermentation after 3 days

Old 12-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
Magnum25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default No fermentation after 3 days

Hey there everyone. 2nd batch brewer here and I have a pilsner that I am brewing as an ale as my second batch. It it 3 days out and my OG reading was at 1.042 or 1.044 on Monday when I brewed the wort. It is a Brewers Best Kit and there was no sign of air lock movement from the start. I checked it after 2 days and it looks exactly like the original wort. Today I checked again and took a reading and it actually reads at 1.047 today with no signs of fermenting in the primary bucket. It is a new bucket and I sanitized everything. Any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #2
ETCS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

First, thanks for taking a gravity reading and not going solely by "Airlock" activity. What kind of yeast did you pitch originally? Dry/Liquid. Did you make a starter or activate the dry yeast? The higher gravity could be due to a change in temp from you original reading. Back to the question...I would re-pitch more yeast to see if you can get it going again.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Magnum25
Recipes 

dry yeast was used straight from the packet, but i kept it in the fridge before use. Not sure of type of yeast although it was Brewers Best lager yeast.
In my first batch I used the exact same steps and it is looking great 2nd week in the primary.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #4
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 24

What temp are you fermenting at?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #5
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Unless it is a known brand of yeast with a date on it I'd never use the yeast provided with a kit, no telling how old it is. The ones I used to get were always insufficient as far as pitching rates. Since your hydrometer is telling you that nothing is happening I'd go buy a packet of some good dry yeast, rehydrate and pitch it.
Magnum25 Likes This 
Old 12-22-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1082 Times on 788 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
Unless it is a known brand of yeast with a date on it I'd never use the yeast provided with a kit, no telling how old it is. The ones I used to get were always insufficient as far as pitching rates. Since your hydrometer is telling you that nothing is happening I'd go buy a packet of some good dry yeast, rehydrate and pitch it.
Agreed.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.
Magnum25 Likes This 
Old 12-23-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
Magnum25
Recipes 

I shook the primary around for a bit and pitched a second dose of yeast after work today and it was working away almost immediately. Thank you to all of you for the helpful tips. I also have to thank my local Brew Shop, The BrewMentor for all of their advice.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
nobody
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i did a brewers best pilsner. they have brewferm lager yeast in them. each kit will have a different yeast just for the type of beer your making.

the kit i did turned out amazingly great!!! i'm just going off what i sampled when i was bottling it, but i was really happy with how it turned out. i was happy enough to buy another kit and am waiting to brew it again. i have 7 more kits before i reach that one again!!!

Old 06-09-2013, 01:47 AM   #9
Zoidberg
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The problem is, you said you are fermenting a pilsner as an ale. I'm assuming you are fermenting near room temp around 70? You're using a lager yeast, which most likely only works at temps much lower than 70. Re-pitch any type of ale yeast.