Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Brew Day Organization

Old 12-21-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Cromacster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Brew Day Organization

I am starting this thread to learn what people do to be prepared and stay organized on their brew day and beyond.

I'm a fairly new brewer (5 AG batches) and I have done a poor job of record keeping. I am starting to get more organized and hopefully this will improve my end product.

To start I have started a notebook for brew days and tracking beyond. Attached is a sample of what I use, It contains the recipe, water temps required, space to record gravity readings, room for notes, all kept in a three ring binder.

I'd like to hear what other people do or if anyone has suggestions on how to improve record keeping. Or is this just a waste and should just get beersmith or something of that nature.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WAB - Czech Pilsner.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	41260  
Bottled: Strawberry Blonde Ale, Bourbon Barrel Porter, California Lager, Lakefront Fixed Gear, Surly Bender Clone

Old 12-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 743

I do all my planning with Beersmith and pieces of paper,( to help figure out my own recipes). Used to use a notebook to keep notes, but now I use Beersmith for that too. If your really serious about this, I would highly recommend Beersmith or some other software. You won't regret it.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #3
maffewl
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Beersmith is the way to go. I have a notebook that I fill with the brew sheets I create each brew day. I take all my notes, including 1st, 2nd, 3rd wort gravities, sg, temperatures, etc. on my actual brew sheet. Then whenever I am looking for a specific beer that I have brewed in the past, or if I'm trying to put together a recipe, brew schedule, etc... I pull out the notebook, check the brew sheets from previous brews and make adjustments. With the software and the notebook, it's kinda hard to go wrong.

Digital Temperature Controller build:
Click Here

Bottle Cutter build:
Click Here

Old 12-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
MrManifesto
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

another vote for beersmith. makes recipe construction much easier as well.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 AM   #5
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Definitely some brew software! But my best brew days (and best products) have come from pre-measuring and pre-sorting my grains & hops, and charted out my water additions. Brewing off the cuff has led me to miss meh target numbers, and then the final product suffers.

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Another vote for Beersmith here. I make the recipe in beersmith, and print out the brew sheet for brew day. Then I take notes on that as needed: mash start time, actual mash temperature, mash pH, boil start time, OG, volume into the fermenter, FG, ABV, initial tasting notes, etc. Anything I need is all on that one piece of paper.

I also have an XLS sheet with the overall brew day schedule. Since I normally brew two beers, mix up a batch of Apfelwein, and then keg the three batches made the previous session, it helps to have it all laid out what to do and when. So I also print that sheet and take a few overall brew day notes on it: start time, beers brewed, end time, etc.