Looks like im about ready to bottle, few more questions! - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Looks like im about ready to bottle, few more questions!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #1
AdamPag
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 351
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts



My last SG reading was on the 15th and came in at 1.017, I decided to wait until tonight for another FG reading and im expecting a finish around 1.010. SO the real question is, if my FG is where its supposed to be should I sit on it another week or cold crash it tonight? IF im going to cold crash, its most likely going to be outside in my shed, temperatures here are going to be at a high of 53 and an absolute LOW of 37 with an average for the next 2 days around 45. Is that not cold enough? I know its not necessary but a little extra clarity in my 1st brew would be nice. Heres some pics from the 15th of my English Amber




 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
stevo155
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
Derry, NH
Posts: 979
Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts


Take a reading tonight, tomorrow, and the next day. If there's no change and it's around where you want it to be, bottle it.

I wouldn't cold crash it in the fluctuating temperatures. Maybe put it out for one night and then bottle it.
__________________
BN Army for Life!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:32 PM   #3
JonK331
 
JonK331's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Fremont, CA
Posts: 2,099
Liked 33 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo155 View Post
Take a reading tonight, tomorrow, and the next day. If there's no change and it's around where you want it to be, bottle it.

I wouldn't cold crash it in the fluctuating temperatures. Maybe put it out for one night and then bottle it.
I wouldn't mess with it that much. Every time you open it up, you increase the chance of something getting in there that you don't want. How long has it been in primary so far? Be patient and give it a good 3-4 weeks and then take a hydrometer reading.

33-34F is ideal for cold crashing but getting it down in the 50's will help. Just make sure it is protected from the sun.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,617
Liked 357 Times on 311 Posts


I really find my beers are better if I give them a week on the yeast after hitting FG, whether I'm going to secondary, dry hop, or bottle. I would recommend it to everyone.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
BOBrob
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
escanaba, michigan
Posts: 582
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Greetings, you can take another reading tonight and another in a couple days to see if you are at FG. If the reading match you can cold crash over night at 37F without worries. The 37 -53F swing is a little concerning. Just overnight in the shed and bring it in to bottle is fine. Cheers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
plumbob
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Ankeny, IA
Posts: 147
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Let her sit.

Cold crash in a week, it'll still be winter.
__________________
Bottles: Standard Deviation Sorghum Steam Beer, Crowded Firetruck Red Ale, Black Tsar RIS
Fermenter: Belgian Dark (but not so strong), GF IPA
On Deck:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:06 AM   #7
AdamPag
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Glen Cove, NY
Posts: 351
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


dude, its not even winter in NY, late december and its 55 degrees. How many of you guys cold crash as apposed to dont? is crashing gonna sacrifice clarity for complexity? Im on the 17th day of ferm, I can wait I pretty much dont look at it at all, just opened once at 13 days to peak and take an SG reading and those pics are the 1st time ive seen the beer since the wort went in. It tasted just fine, very light carb with a strong bitter and a dry finish, except it was kind of like drinking beer thats a week old. Should I bother with a cold crash at all?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #8
plumbob
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Ankeny, IA
Posts: 147
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


If you are happy with the clarity now, there's no real need to cold crash. I don't think you lose any flavor in cold crashing, it is mostly cosmetic. You can definitely get a decent cold crash with mid 30 degree nights like you mentioned, however.

All told, if you are still seven points off of your expected final gravity, make damn sure the gravity is stable prior to bottling. If that yeast decides to take off when you disturb it for bottling you could have a disaster. That's why I would say let it sit another week at fermentation temp just to make sure.
__________________
Bottles: Standard Deviation Sorghum Steam Beer, Crowded Firetruck Red Ale, Black Tsar RIS
Fermenter: Belgian Dark (but not so strong), GF IPA
On Deck:

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ready to bottle Delohe Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 12-14-2011 07:46 PM
A bunch of extremely n00b questions. Is this beer ready to bottle? jtmwhyte Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 12-09-2011 03:17 PM
Is it ready to bottle? hawkeyes Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 11-01-2011 10:45 PM
Ready to bottle? Canadabrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 04-21-2011 11:25 PM
Getting ready to bottle DuffManMississippi Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 21 08-06-2010 02:33 AM


Forum Jump