Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Keggle Conversion Project Finished

Old 12-21-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
mccumath
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Keggle Conversion Project Finished

Well, a big thanks to everyone who has done this before me. I have all the pieces to finish my keggle, and put it all together last night. All stainless, weldless fittings. Thanks to Bobby from Brewhardware, and everyone else on here who had pictures and what not of their keggles!

Here it is! Now if only I could find another keg or two for the HLT and MLT...

Ryan M.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Keg1.jpg
Views:	2741
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	41247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keg2.jpg
Views:	2580
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	41248  
Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
NCGrayson
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

looks sweet

Old 12-21-2011, 07:10 PM   #3
abarhan
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Very shinny man. That took some time, if you have free time ill buy the beer.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:54 PM   #4
mccumath
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarhan View Post
Very shinny man. That took some time, if you have free time ill buy the beer.
Sure, if you want to ship it to me... You may not get it back, but sure, will PM you a house nearby and have you ship it there...!

Hahahaha!

Thanks,

Ryan M.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #5
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 25

You drilled a hole right through the middle of the EAGLE? Oh man...that's just not right.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
mccumath
Recipes 

That's what I think about AB... Yeah, I thought about that too, but it just happened that way... Besides, there is still a perfectly stamped, perfectly shiny eagle on the OTHER side...

Old 12-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
Radical_Rick
Recipes 

That is pretty sweet! I have been working on my own keggle(s) for almost 2 years now, have all of the parts, most of the holes are drilled, tops are cut...just need to find the time to fire up the MIG welder and get it finished.
So tell me your secret...what did you use to polish that baby up so bright?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Man, that looks great. I think that's the first customer pic of the full weldless valve and stainless diptube I've seen. Mind if I snag the pics for my site? And maybe another one after you calibrate the sight glass?

Old 12-21-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
mccumath
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Man, that looks great. I think that's the first customer pic of the full weldless valve and stainless diptube I've seen. Mind if I snag the pics for my site? And maybe another one after you calibrate the sight glass?
Bobby,

You can use that pic, absolutely. If you give me a few more days (after Christmas), I will calibrate the tube and take some pics with my DSLR. That was with the wife's point and shoot.

I decided that I was not going to polish with the number 5 stick, as it is just gonna get scuffed up and beaten around while brewing, and until I get a CIP type setup (all electric, eventually), just didn't see the point. The keg was still relatively new, so I got lucky there, only a few small dents/dings.

Had a little trouble with the getting the sight tube fitting sealed, but I think it was because I did not get the inside of the keg super clean before tightening it up. All good easy fix.

Also, if the hole is drilled 3-3/4 inches from the bottom skirt of the keg, it gives you 1/16 of an inch between the dip tube and the bottom of the keg. Very nice, left maybe 1-2 tablespoons of water behind. Will see how it works in the next few weeks with EdWorts Haus Pale Ale Recipe and the hop additions. I really need to brew!

And to anyone else out there that is thinking about drilling holes in your keg - it is VERY worth the extra cash to have new drill bits on hand. They eat through stainless like butter! The step-bit had a little difficulty, but switched the drill to high torque and low speed, used olive oil for cooling/lubrication (its what I had), and it ate that stainless for dinner. Life was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Rick View Post
That is pretty sweet! I have been working on my own keggle(s) for almost 2 years now, have all of the parts, most of the holes are drilled, tops are cut...just need to find the time to fire up the MIG welder and get it finished.
So tell me your secret...what did you use to polish that baby up so bright?
Radical_Rick,

If you look under any post of Bobby_M's, you can see the Keg Polishing link there. That is where the inspiration comes from!

Thanks guys, and thanks Bobby for talking me into the compression fitting and the dip tube. Much easier to use/disassemble for cleaning. Turned out quite nice, and passed the water test last night.

I would buy from Bobby again anytime!

Ryan M.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 855 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Just to make sure, did you have the gasket on the inside of the vessel for the sight glass? It looks like it from the picture. Tut tut....you didn't follow the instructions The gasket for the sight glass goes between the tee and the outside of the keg. It should be leak free with basically a hand tight connection. I would expect it to leak with the gasket on the inside.