Mash Times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using BeerSmith but am not really sure how to set up my equipment in the software. I do BIAB 1.75 gallon batches. Not sure how to create a profile. I do usually start w/ 2.75 gallons of water, no sparge, no mashout. Just lift and drain.

BeerSmith gives me times from 45 min to as much as 75 min in the mashtun (a 5 gallon round cooler). Seems to change as the style of ale I brew. Is 90 min really needed?

I think the closest profile I can find is BIAB Medium Body.

I'm really confused :confused:

C-Rider said:
That's what I've been doing. Didn't look at the Mash link till a few days ago. Hmmm wonder what else I have'nt seen in the past 8 months. LOL

If you use iodine as a sanitizer, you can always check if your mash ha fully converted the starches to sugars by putting a drop of iodine in a teaspoon of wort; if it turns black, you're not done mashing yet. I've noticed full conversion usually occurs around 30-45 minutes... but I still let it sit the full 60 most of the time. I know of a few folks who run off after only 30 minutes, and their beer is great. And so it goes...

Cheers!!

What are some of the benefits to mashing the full 60 minutes when full conversion has been reached (iodine test) after 30 minutes?

cooper said:
What are some of the benefits to mashing the full 60 minutes when full conversion has been reached (iodine test) after 30 minutes?

Gives me time to clean up and prep other equipment ;)

Back