Ok, it's almost time for me to do my first brew. Waiting on a couple last things to be delivered and then it's off to the races.
Here is the process I intend to do. I am looking for 100% precision here as I will go down this list and check off each item as it is done. If you see anything amiss with the ingredients, order, temps, time, process, etc I would love to hear the feedback. Things I am unsure about or have a question about are in red.
This is not a tested process I have never brewed before so anyone who wants to follow this, well don't
This is the recipe kit that I will be brewing:
1) Fill kettle with 3 gallons of distilled
2) Put kettle onto burner, get it to 158 degrees, check using thermometer
3) Add "Crisp Crystal Malt 60L", "Crisp Roasted Barley", "Crisp Chocolate Malt"
into the included bag and steep for 30 minutes.
4) Remove grains from kettle
5) Turn OFF burner
6) Add half of heated "Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract"
to the mixture. Stir like crazy.
7) Bring to a rolling
boil (will be boiled a total of 60 minutes) -
8) Add "Brewers Gold Pellets"
9) After 40 minutes (20 minutes remaining), add the remaining heated "Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract"
10) At the same time as number 9, place chiller into boiling liquid to sanitize it
** Sanitizing important after this step **
11) At 60 minutes, turn off boil, connect hoses
and commence wort chilling by turning on water to IC
12) Chill to 65-70 degrees (thanks BBL) with IC. Use sanitized stainless spoon to agitate the wort and create turbulence around the chiller pipes
13) While that is cooling, take the "SAFALE S-04"
and pour it into a cup of lukewarm water (90-100 degrees) for 10 minutes to rehydrate it.
14) Pour cooled water into plastic fermenter bucket (cleaned/sanitized)
15) Mix yeast/water mixture into wort in the bucket
15a) Top up to 5 of distilled and probably boiled gallons. Will use boiled distilled water.
16) Place cover over fermenter bucket, ensure airlock is sealed and filled half with vodka
17) Ferment ~2.5 weeks
, monitor airlock to make sure it's not making a mess. Take hydrometer reading on final few days to ensure that it is not changing. This ensures fermentation is done when they are the same reading give or take.
18) ignore will do all in bucket - Transfer to glass carboy using clean/sanitized autosiphon
19) ignore will do all in bucket - Affix airlock and/or blow off tubing to bowl with sanitized water
20) ignore will do all in bucket - Ferment for another 5-7 days, monitor airlock
21) Clean bottling bucket, racking cane, siphon, bottle caps, and bottles using oxiclean and jet bottle washer for bottles. Do not use abrasive anything. Just a sponge or brush for glass things.
22) Sanitize the same items in star san solution using proper mixture
23) Hang bottles on bottle tree
24) Leave all other items in star san until ready to use
25) Heat up 1 cup of water
26) Add 5 oz of priming sugar
26) Bring to a boil for approx 5 minutes
27) Allow to cool
28) Add priming sugar mixture to bottling bucket
29) Siphon beer with autosiphon from fermenter to bottling bucket on top of sugar, may lightly stir if not getting a mixing swirl out of autosiphon
30) Place bottling bucket above dishwasher
31) Pull a bottle off of the tree rinse with vinator
32) Cap with sanitized cap (will have 2 people)
33) Store in a 60-70 degrees for 2-4 weeks.