Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how to get a higher abv%
Old 12-22-2011, 12:33 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 80

The laws here are getting better.

Everything is better with a beer.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #32
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeah i recently read that is some areas of Utah customers are actually now allowed to see mixed drinks being prepared!

Bottles: Standard Deviation Sorghum Steam Beer, Crowded Firetruck Red Ale, Black Tsar RIS
Fermenter: Belgian Dark (but not so strong), GF IPA
On Deck:
Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 AM   #33
Liked 146 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Originally Posted by Matteo57
Coors, bud and miller are are 4.2% abv, can't even get that! I guess at 2.8% you could get yourself some MGD 64 lite! Poor utah
I guess the big breweries could always just add more water to their beer and it would be exceptable then.
They make 3.2 draft for some states
Old 12-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #34
Ale's What Cures You!
Liked 6650 Times on 4740 Posts
Likes Given: 1856

Getting back to the original topic, you can certainly add more malt extract to raise the ABV. The only issue is that of balance- you need to add more hops to balance more malt.

Think of it this way. You made 1 gallon of spaghetti sauce, but just found out that you need to take 3 gallons to a party. You could add two gallons of tomato sauce, but then it wouldn't be the same spaghetti sauce at all. You'd need to add more oregano, garlic, basil, and so on so it's the "same".

The same is true of your grainbill when you increase the fermentables in your beer. Yes, you'll get more alcohol. But you'll also get more malt flavor, and if you don't balance it out with more hops, it won't be the same beer.

The best way to make a higher ABV beer is to start with the right recipe in the first place, instead of boosting the fermentables in a different recipe.
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook:
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!