Need help, New Car... - Page 4 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Need help, New Car...

Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #31
fifelee

Recipes 

Dec 2006
Vaughn, MT
Liked 40 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobrewer View Post
yeah, i'd much rather have my car spontaneously combust in my garage in the middle of the night after a minor fender bender with my wife and children sleeping 30 feet away from it.

oh, and again...lithium....

i'm not saying they are unsafe cars. I just wouldn't go so far as to say "so far so good!" when GM is currently offering to buy them back because they unsafe.
Yet more falsehoods and exaggerations I would love to tackled, but I'll be the bigger man and stop this hyjack.

Go with the Mustang. I'm sure all the all the cars you mention perform great, but for me the Mustangs are head turners. I love how the designers honor the look of classic Mustangs yet make it look totally new and eye popping. Plus I like how Ford is an american company that has stood on its own.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #32
year2beer
Recipes 

Oct 2011
huntsville, alabama
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifelee View Post
Yet more falsehoods and exaggerations I would love to tackled, but I'll be the bigger man and stop this hyjack.

Go with the Mustang. I'm sure all the all the cars you mention perform great, but for me the Mustangs are head turners. I love how the designers honor the look of classic Mustangs yet make it look totally new and eye popping. Plus I like how Ford is an american company that has stood on its own.
I took a 5.0 out on the town and wasn't really impressed. I've read the reviews on GT500's... but have to say that a sporty ride is just as important.

Unfortunately, I need a car that can road trip or race... and the M3 has that package standard. This means I don't have to screw with coil overs, airbags, etc. suspensions...

I'm excited to test drive the M3... MORE TO COME!

Thanks to all who have thrown their $.02 on this thread... much appreciated. BTW, my wife hates me right now... hahaha

Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #33
BryanJ
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Ithaca, N.Y.
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Um really? There is no contest here, get the gtr.

I was under the impression the the new 5.0 mustang was just as fast and handled on par with the M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwcopela View Post
the Z06 - the fastest production car (off the assembly line) on the planet.
No, you're wrong.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #34
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Liked 68 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifelee View Post
Of coarse the Volt isn’t in the same category as the OP’s car list. Frankly the Volt is a category of one (nothing like a prius). It can’t match the HP of an ICE, but it has a very respectable torque of 273ft-lbs (nearly double the prius and close to the range of the other cars on his list) and rides much like a performance car (largely due to the better weight distribution). I only suggested it because it does somewhat fit the criteria listed by the OP.

Decent gas mileage... yeah right!
- Under common driving patterns the Volt is the cheapest car on the planet to operate. Yet you get some great performance.

Smooth ride but sporty when needed.
-Volt fits this perfectly. Remember with an ICE torque is related to RPM. With an electric motor it is instantly available.

Must be reliable... and easy to work on... my other hobby.
-Reliability is yet to be determined but so far so good. Is any car easy to work on any more?

Can go between automatic and manual trans(for the wife)
- Volt doesn't fit this bill, but it does imply the OP likes technology and the ability to play with the car. The volt is a big leap toward what technology we will see in the future and gives ample opportunity to play

Now if the OP wants to soup up a car and stick it on the drag strip then of coarse the volt doesn’t work. But for a daily driver the Volt can be a blast.

These guys (GM-Volt: Chevy Volt Electric Car Site) are the volt experts if any one has questions.
Not so quickly...

Looks like the taxpayer is on the hook for most of the cost of these pieces of dung.

Electric just doesn't make sense financially. The government needs to give tax credits to make vehicles even remotely affordable, and given the costs of electric vs. gas (or better yet, diesel), it would take about 12 years to just break even. Given the cost of electricity where I live, it would be even longer.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #35
jpc
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
Um really? There is no contest here, get the gtr.
It goes like stink, but looks like ass, IMO.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #36
hoghead
Recipes 

Jan 2011
, Iowa
Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Cadillac CTS-V first generations(04-07) were essentially c5 zo6's with a sedan body 400hp, 395lb-ft. Second generations (09+) 556hp. Sporty yet large sedan comfortable.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #37
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

Head to head with the M3
Comparison Test: 2011 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe vs. 2011 BMW M3 Coupe

Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #38
BigUgly

Recipes 

Oct 2011
, Republic of Texas
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ

No, you're wrong.
I should have been more specific for you. Under $300,000 that any normal hard-working American can buy. I really don't consider those faster than the Z06 true production cars when their sticker price is $2,000,000 and they only make 120 of them...

87% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Hunter

Old 12-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #39
jpc
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
Wow, that is seriously ugly.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #40