dead guy kit from brewcraft anyone done it? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > dead guy kit from brewcraft anyone done it?

Old 12-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #1
aharri1
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Liked 57 Times on 53 Posts

I just brewed a batch this evening and tasted the amount I pulled out of the carboy for my OG test and it seems really close. I did fiddle with the kit and add a 1/2 cup of local honey and an extra 3.3lb can of golden light lme just to see if I could make it closer to double dead guy and got 1.076 OG. Anyone ever tried this kit in general?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #2
GTO_Guy
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Rosharon, TX
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did the one from rebel and it turned out AWESOME~!

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #3
rico567
Recipes 

Apr 2008
Central IL
Liked 87 Times on 81 Posts

Yooper's Dead Guy clone in the recipes section is now one of my standard brews......

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
J8D
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Tampa, Florida
Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

That kit was my second ever brew. I loved it. The wife loved it. Two friends did a blind taste test and they both chose the kit beer over the actual beer.

I have also done Yooper's Dead Guy Clone and Tasty's. I have my second try at Tasty's carbing right now. So far it tastes the closest of the seven variance of Dead Guy I have done.

---------------------------------------------
Stout Faucet: Guinness Clone
Faucet 1: Tongue Twister IIPA
Faucet 2: American White
Faucet 3: Wheat #2
Satellite Faucet: Walking Dead Guy Ale
Primary 1/2: Simcoe Pale Ale
Secondary 1/2: What You Do IPA

Upcoming Brews: Belgian Pale Ale

Total gallons brewed: 470 gallons

Old 12-20-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
ultravista
Recipes 

Mar 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Liked 57 Times on 47 Posts

I brewed the Brewcraft DGA kit; it turned out OK. Nothing phenominal like I expected but it was pretty close. What I felt was missing was the malty sweetness.

Yoppers DGA clone is fantastic, very malty, and an overall great taste. I will continue to use her receipe moving forward.

As far as the DDGA clone, I don't think adding a few more ferementables will get you there.

JBD - please post a link to Tasty's DGA recipe.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
aharri1
Recipes 

Nov 2011

Thanls for all the replies guys!! Hopefully my additions will give it the sweetness the kit didn't recreate from one of the responses. I will let everyone know how it turns out 6 weeks from now. Im thinking 3 weeks primary 3 weeks bottles any suggestions?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:03 AM   #7
aharri1
Recipes 

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by J8D
That kit was my second ever brew. I loved it. The wife loved it. Two friends did a blind taste test and they both chose the kit beer over the actual beer.

I have also done Yooper's Dead Guy Clone and Tasty's. I have my second try at Tasty's carbing right now. So far it tastes the closest of the seven variance of Dead Guy I have done.
Did you have any blowoff with the dead guy kit? Yesterday it started to look frisky and I cme home late tonight and the beer was in the airlock and almost blown the top. I made an emergency blow off with a growler and transfer tube. I've never done this. How long do I have to wait until it is safe to put the airlock back on?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 AM   #8
Jaybird
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
Nor*Cal
Liked 944 Times on 667 Posts

We sell a lot of those in the store, and I must say its a killer kit. The kit doesn't come with the yeast and yeast choice is crucial. I have tried it with the WLP001 and it was, so so. I have tried it with the WLP051 and it was a lot better. But the WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast (white labs Packman) was the ticket for sure!..
Cheers
Jay

I have been making custom False Bottoms for just about everything since 2008

Nor Cal Brewing Solutions, Reddings local homebrew store
(530)243-BEER and (530)221-WINE

Still have questions PM me here or hit the website.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com and like us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NorCalBrewingSolutionsfor Facebook only promos too
Smoke Cigars? www.stogietoys.com

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guy Cigar Club

Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #9
aharri1
Recipes 

Nov 2011

Thanks for the tips I ended up usng safale us-05 yeast I hope it comes out well

Old 03-18-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
jimmywit
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Normal, IL
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My brother in law just got this kit and I went over today to help him with his first brew. I thought it was complete junk!!! The instructions suck for someone who has never brewed and it did not come with the right stuff. This is why I never ever buy kits and why I will teach him how to brew without a kit. Also This kit seems to change it's hops every year. IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY. BREW YOOPERS CLONE. I brew all grain and started with extract and I have never in all my life been as disappointed with a brewing product as I have this hunk of trash they call a "kit". I love Rouge beers but they dropped a level in my book today by putting out such a crappy product.