Extra 3 weeks in secondary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
I have a batch that was supposed to be done before i left for the holidays. Now my schedule has changed. Is there anyone out there that would be willing to chime in on what if any possible problems could come from sitting in the secondary for an extra 3 weeks?

its a pale ale with moderate hops in a temperature controlled ferm chamber.

I am thinking refill the air lock and kiss it for good luck and hope for the best?

Leaving the beer in secondary longer will only make it better.

It will improve clarity, reduce the fusels, and help blend the flavors.

Theres only one thing that will make that beer even better. 4 weeks! I literally forgot one in a primary for a month and a half, best oatmeal stout I ever had. I do not have the patience to duplicate that mistake.

Mike

Excellent thats what i had thought but this is only batch #7 for me so i am still very green.

I'll go one further, leave it in the bottle for a month-thank me later. It's hard to be patient, I'm guilty of not waiting long enough. By time I finally get to drinking the last few is when they start getting really good.

Mike

If you are going to leave it alone for weeks with out any way to check on it, I would replace the airlock with a blowoff tube into 1/2 gallon of water. That way you would not risk the water in the airlock evaporating and leaving you with out the airlock protection. I use a gallon jug as my blowoff so I have plenty of space.

it took me about a year to figure out time is your friend. i let mine sit at least 30 days then rack to the secondary. a few days after racking i cold crash. after awhile i raise the temp back up to the low end of what the yeast calls for. i never drink a beer that hasn't sit at least 30 days in the bottle conditioning.

time is your friend!!! let it sit as long as you can. the colder the better.

You could have let it sit on the cake that long with no ill effects. I only secondary my Huge beers, which I do once a year. just refresh your air lock before you go! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

I'm brewing the day before I leave for a week putting ferm in a drip pan, covering with a towel in case I get a gusher!

Back