Spike Brewing Kettles - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Spike Brewing Kettles

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 01:21 AM   #1
Wolfhausen83
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Cromwell, CT
Posts: 42


Anyone have experience with these? I found them from a local CL post. thinking about picking up a few for my future electric setup. I tend to believe a kettle is a kettle, but I welcome comments from people who bought bargain kettles.


http://spikebrewing.com/



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Stow, MA
Posts: 16,921
Liked 2847 Times on 2133 Posts


Hilarious.

See this post - immediately below yours...

Cheers!



 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
Wolfhausen83
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Cromwell, CT
Posts: 42

Whoops, the search for kettle produced a million results and spike had nothing. I guess that solves it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 PM   #4
JPKDetroit
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Detroit, MI
Posts: 37
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Wolf- Did u end up buying one? If so, are you feeling good about the purchase?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhausen83 View Post
Whoops, the search for kettle produced a million results and spike had nothing. I guess that solves it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
jwible204
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 385
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JPKDetroit View Post
Wolf- Did u end up buying one? If so, are you feeling good about the purchase?
I ordered one last Monday, it was supposed to ship last week but didn't. I'm told it was shipped today. I'll report back after my first brew which will hopefully be end of this week.

I got the 15 gallon with 1 welded port w/ ball valve.
__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
JPKDetroit
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Detroit, MI
Posts: 37
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Cool. Thanks. If you remember can you let me know how it looks after you've received it and brewed with it? I'm pretty close to ordering one but want to make sure it's not too good to be true


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
I ordered one last Monday, it was supposed to ship last week but didn't. I'm told it was shipped today. I'll report back after my first brew which will hopefully be end of this week.

I got the 15 gallon with 1 welded port w/ ball valve.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
AAIndigo
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Franklin, Ma
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhausen83 View Post
Anyone have experience with these? I found them from a local CL post. thinking about picking up a few for my future electric setup. I tend to believe a kettle is a kettle, but I welcome comments from people who bought bargain kettles.


http://spikebrewing.com/
I ordered one last week. Looks like it will be here tomorrow? Hope to be using it this weekend. I'll post pictures when she's fitted out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 PM   #8
jwible204
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 385
Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts


I'm still waiting on mine, apparently it shipped today, though I received tracking info for it last Tuesday. After testing/brewing, hopefully end of this week, I'll start a thread or reply to this one.
__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 PM   #9
SpikeBrewing
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
SpikeBrewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 891
Liked 112 Times on 80 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
I'm still waiting on mine, apparently it shipped today, though I received tracking info for it last Tuesday. After testing/brewing, hopefully end of this week, I'll start a thread or reply to this one.
John,

Your kettle went out today and should arrive Thursday or Friday at the latest.

I'm excited to hear some feedback The welded couplers are so much nicer than the soldered joints. They are fricken bullet proof!
__________________

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
AAIndigo
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Franklin, Ma
Posts: 76

Well I received my Pot (15.5 gals) last week. No problems at all with lead time or shipping delays. I ordered the check valve and thermometer with the unit along with a sight glass (from another vendor)that I installed with no problems. Brewed with it on Sunday and all went well. There were a few issues I have with this unit (melted lens to thermometer and some distortion on lid from heat) but all in all it is a great pot and would recommend to anyone looking for a large pot at a very reasonable price.

I would suggest a glass lens on the thermometers outfitted with horizontal fittings or using a heat shield when brewing. The lid is a none issue.

Thanks to Ben for the great communication and fast service
Archie


Click image for larger version

Name:	sight glass.jpg
Views:	3329
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	46708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Therm melt.jpg
Views:	3153
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	46709  

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump