racking into the secondary - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > racking into the secondary

Old 12-19-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
scottyspohn
Recipes 

Nov 2011

I'm getting ready to rack my cider in the secondary its a 5 gallon batch my question is when I rack it should I add more cider to it to top it off and do I do anything else to it thanks for any help

Old 12-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
selfdestructed
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Michigan

Depends. If you plan on leaving it a long time top it off. If less than a couple weeks, then no

Old 12-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
scottyspohn
Recipes 

Nov 2011

Yes I plan on letting it set for about 9 months then bottle it

Old 12-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
Jacob_Marley
Recipes 

Sep 2011
Detroit
Liked 269 Times on 200 Posts

Cider does not have the protection from a higher alcohol % like wine does. Cider does not typically have the protection from lower pH and added SO2 like wine does.
And then you plan on aging it for 9 months before bottling.
If it was me I would be limiting headspace to not more than about 2 inches from the bottom of the airlock and doing what I could during handling and storage to avoid oxygenating the cider further.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
scottyspohn
Recipes 

Nov 2011

Can I add another gallon of cider to it maybe sweeten it up a little and how much apple concentrate do I add I know everyones taste is different but what is commonly used for a 5 gallon batch

Old 12-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
UpstateMike
Recipes 

Nov 2011
Marion, NY
Liked 162 Times on 92 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyspohn View Post
Can I add another gallon of cider to it maybe sweeten it up a little and how much apple concentrate do I add I know everyones taste is different but what is commonly used for a 5 gallon batch
I would hold off on the concentrate at his time, add that when bottling.

If you add cider to take up the headspace, that will probably start up a secondary fermentation. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Some people use sanitized marbles to take up the headspace without restarting fermentation.
"No longer drink only water, but use a little wine for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities." ~ 1 Timothy 5:23

Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
MarkKF
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Meriden, CT
Liked 97 Times on 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
Some people use sanitized marbles to take up the headspace without restarting fermentation.
Interesting idea

Old 12-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #8
divi2323
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Blue Island, IL
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateMike View Post
I'd vote for adding more fresh cider here... more product = more fun this is what I did with my batches this go around. yes it restarts fermentation but that's fine, i'm not wasting precious carboy space with marbles, i'm wasting it with more things to get me drunk later.

Old 12-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
scottyspohn
Recipes 

Nov 2011

Great ideas guys thank you I'm going to add more cider at this point ill keep you posted on the process thank you again