Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cover your wort or upgrade?

Old 12-19-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
chris24300
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cover your wort or upgrade?

Do you cover your wort when boiling/keeping a boil? I don't know if my stove struggles or what but doesn't seem to keep a boil if it's open..

I saw a nice Banjo propane cooker at LHBS for $100. Does anyone use these? do you brew outside? It costs a little but I'll also be able to get a 42qt pot and I shouldn't need anything more than that for a while.. worth it?

Old 12-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
SkyHighBrew88
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

$100 bucks! Wow that's steep. Amazon has Bayou Classic SQ-14 model for somewhere between $40-$50. SP-10 is also a popular model & may be a bit cheaper too.

Definitely upgrade, the lid needs to be off to boil away any DMS.

CURRENTLY IN BOTTLES -- Black & Blue Amber Ale
FUTURE BREWS -- DFH 90 Minute, Flying Dog Raging Bitch CYBI clone, Rye Saison

Old 12-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3490 Times on 2384 Posts
Likes Given: 2279

FYI - You do NOT want to cover your wort while it's boiling.

You should be able to pick up an outdoor turkey fryer setup for under $60 if you look around.

The reason you do not want to cover your kettle is that the steam coming out of the kettle contains DMS precursors, which will fall back into your wort if you cover it. These precursors will cause DMS flavor issues later, which you generally do not want.

I usually try and place the kettle over 2 burners if I am working in the kitchen. But the turkey fryer system is quite capable of maintaining a HARD boil.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:23 PM   #4
jetmac
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhighbrew88 View Post
$100 bucks! Wow that's steep. Amazon has bayou classic sq-14 model for somewhere between $40-$50. Sp-10 is also a popular model & may be a bit cheaper too.

Definitely upgrade, the lid needs to be off to boil away any dms.
+1

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
chris24300
Recipes 

Should have stated a partial cover, but looks like upgrading it is. Thanks for those burners the sq-14 looks like the winner. I can't get over two burners on my stove, stupid design.

Question on the brew kettle; the LHBS has a 42 qt but without a spicket for ~$80, is it worth it to spend a little extra for a valve? like this one

Old 12-19-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always wonder how people cool down those pots with the valves on them. You have to lift them anyway to put them in a bath. I would imagine it would get submerged in ice water and then require sanitizing before transfer. I boiled 5 gallons the other day and just dumped it into my bucket from about 2 feet away. The material gushed all over the bucket and created a nice foamy lather. Didn't need to aerate it afterward. Just a thought.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
FastAndy
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew
I always wonder how people cool down those pots with the valves on them. You have to lift them anyway to put them in a bath. I would imagine it would get submerged in ice water and then require sanitizing before transfer. I boiled 5 gallons the other day and just dumped it into my bucket from about 2 feet away. The material gushed all over the bucket and created a nice foamy lather. Didn't need to aerate it afterward. Just a thought.
Most setups with a valve use a chiller instead of an ice bath. Personally i use the no chill method. I think a valve is extremely important for safety. Moving 5+ gallons of near boiling liquid seems like it would only be a matter of time before an accident happens.

Just my $.02 though.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
badbrew
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastAndy View Post
Most setups with a valve use a chiller instead of an ice bath. Personally i use the no chill method. I think a valve is extremely important for safety. Moving 5+ gallons of near boiling liquid seems like it would only be a matter of time before an accident happens.

Just my $.02 though.
Do you mean that you just pour the contents into one of those water storage jugs and wait?

Old 12-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
FastAndy
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbrew

Do you mean that you just pour the contents into one of those water storage jugs and wait?
I let the wort cool to 180 ish, open the valve and let it pour into my ale pail (through silicone tubing not plastic) and seal it. The next morning i make sure the temp is low enough, aerate and pitch.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
kpr121
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Check out Lowes/Home Depot this time of year. I saw a turkey fryer with a 42 quart aluminum pot on clearance for $39.99. I dont even need it and I almost scooped it up at that price. I think the brand was Brinkman?

If you want a valve it should be easy enough to drill a hole and install a weldless bulkhead.

Primary: Two Hearted Clone[B]
Secondary: Table Red Wine, Table White Wine
Kegged:Oberon Clone, "Campfire" Hoppy Red Ale, Brown Trout Stout, Cider
Bottled: Random stuff(Cider, Mead, Wines)
Bulk Aging: Red wine, Blueberry "Brandy"
Up Next: Citra Blonde, Kolsch, IPA, IPA, IPA