slow to no fermentation - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > slow to no fermentation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
raf1919
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 135
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts



I made a pumpkin ale on wed night. It was my first mini mash kit but eveything went well with that. However it was also my first time using whirlfloc, which i forgot to add to boil but threw it in right as i put pot on ice.

now i'm having very weak if any fermentation. i used wyeast and the pack really bulged out so i know yeast was good. I opened the top and there is very weak krausen ring and i see a few lil bubbles coming up but airlock is not moving. if i shake the bucket around it will start the bubble for like an hour and goes away and few hours the airlock water levels are even like there is no co2 pressure anymore. bucket has good seal cause when i push on lid moves airlock.

only new thing here is whirlfloc, could that be causing this since i put in at flame out?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:38 PM   #2
Brewnoob1
 
Brewnoob1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 982
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts


The vigorous part of the fermentation may be done as there WAS a sign of a krausen ring. It has probably already receded back into the liquid. Just take a hydrometer reading and see where you're at. That's the only way to know if there was fermentation or not. Bubbles in the airlock just mean there was excess gas so that means nothing really.
__________________
Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Hugh_Jass
 
Hugh_Jass's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 1,974
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by raf1919 View Post
I made a pumpkin ale on wed night. It was my first mini mash kit but eveything went well with that. However it was also my first time using whirlfloc, which i forgot to add to boil but threw it in right as i put pot on ice.

now i'm having very weak if any fermentation. i used wyeast and the pack really bulged out so i know yeast was good. I opened the top and there is very weak krausen ring and i see a few lil bubbles coming up but airlock is not moving. if i shake the bucket around it will start the bubble for like an hour and goes away and few hours the airlock water levels are even like there is no co2 pressure anymore. bucket has good seal cause when i push on lid moves airlock.

only new thing here is whirlfloc, could that be causing this since i put in at flame out?
I doubt Whirlfloc could cause fermentation to slow. It's a protein coagulant.

what was the yeast strain and the temp? The beer could be nearly or completely fermented at this point.

Also, did the airlock ever show signs of vigorous fermentation?
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
raf1919
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 135
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


It was wyeast london ale yeast. i smashed the pack about 4hrs before pitching and it was very hard i was getting worried it might pop. pitched on the beer 74. and its been at pretty 72-75 the whole time. it never showed a vigorous fermentation. about 36hrs after pitching there was like a very faint airlock action that went away i showed the bucket around and it resumed and died down. sat night i did same and it resume and now its back to no action.

I will let it sit some more and move to 2ndary this friday. My hydrometer broke several batches ago, but since i just buy kits that premeasured for me i just figured wouldn't need one.. go figure.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Hugh_Jass
 
Hugh_Jass's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2008
Posts: 1,974
Liked 39 Times on 38 Posts


72 is pretty warm for that strain. 72F is the highest recommended temp. Higher temps will cause the beer to ferment quicker but will also produce some "off flavors" (fusel alcohol, phenols to name a couple)

Really, you should pick up a hydrometer and use it before you do anything else.
__________________
Quote:
"My new company is going to sell Aqua-infused(tm), Alphabetamashed(tm), Wortboiled(tm), Multihops Brewed(tm), Saccharomented(tm), Lageriffic(tm) beer. - Bobby_M
Pigs are fantastic creatures. They convert vegetables into bacon.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Brewnoob1
 
Brewnoob1's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Puyallup, WA
Posts: 982
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts


That temp is a bit too warm considering inside the fermenter can be much warmer. However, not speaking to issues fermenting too warm, being that it was in fact a warm fermentation, you're probably past the vigorous part. Get a hydrometer though...that is the only way to really know if you have fermentation or not.
__________________
Keg #1: Empty :(
Keg #2: Empty :(
Kegs 3-5: Empty :(

Ferment #1: Empty :(
Ferment #2: Empty :(
Ferment #3: Empty :(

On Deck: Something....Anything!!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #7
eastoak
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
oakland, california
Posts: 3,294
Liked 159 Times on 149 Posts


an ale fermented at 72-75 may be almost undrinkable or at least not enjoyable as an ale fermented at 60-65.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,619
Liked 356 Times on 310 Posts


Yea, that high of a temperature probably means you had a super fast vigorous fermentation. Next time try controlling your temps. The temperature range on the pack is a guideline- you really want to be as close to the bottom of it as you can. Also, that indicates BEER temperature, not the temperature of the room. You need to be actively cooling your beer as fermentation itself generates heat and can rise way above the temperature of the room.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:12 PM   #9
raf1919
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
Carol Stream, IL
Posts: 135
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


crap.. looks like i will have move my operation in colder temps. i thought about keep fermenter near patio glass door there is draft there so i can easily keep it at like 65-68there. but i guess i worried about the light ruining beer since my fermenter is transparent.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:29 PM   #10
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,619
Liked 356 Times on 310 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by raf1919 View Post
crap.. looks like i will have move my operation in colder temps. i thought about keep fermenter near patio glass door there is draft there so i can easily keep it at like 65-68there. but i guess i worried about the light ruining beer since my fermenter is transparent.
Just throw a towel or blanket around it. Wetting a towel might net you another degree or two, also.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slow fermentation? idigg Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 12-15-2010 03:30 PM
Which is better? A fast, very active fermentation, or a slow steady fermentation? cerberus9 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-24-2009 04:56 PM
slow slow fermentation question !! WheaYaAt Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-07-2008 06:18 PM
Slow fermentation ozzyatfrbrich Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 04-27-2008 01:39 AM
SLOW fermentation??? capn Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 04-15-2008 01:01 AM


Forum Jump