Plate chiller plumbing - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Plate chiller plumbing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 10:58 PM   #1
hennja2
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Posts: 22
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I'm a new owner of a 30 plate chiller, and I'm getting ready to attach it.

I'll have a setup that I dissasemble between brews. I was planning cam locks for the system. I am also planning a T connector with a dial thermometer on the wort out of the plate chiller.

My question is how to plumb the thermometer? Should I go with male cam on plate, then female cam attached to T and thermometer? Any pics or tips? Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
mountainman13
 
mountainman13's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 278
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts


I have a similar setup that I attach to my pump to monitor the temp of wort coming out of my mash tun. Just get a 1/2 in tee, a female camlock w/male npt(B style), and male/male camlock(F style), and a thermometer. I run camlocks on everything, and couldn't be happier. It's all from Bargainfittings.com, one of the best places I've ever done business with.
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1712424080.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	40979  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:05 AM   #3
yorkbrew
 
yorkbrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Bellingham, WA
Posts: 114


I've been considering setting up something similar. My only reservation is making sure the cold side is properly sanitized. I'm probably being overly paranoid but one of my homebrew buddies only uses tri-clovers on the cold side of his process. Camlocks seem like they would be sanitized easily but...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
TomRep
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Fleetwood, PA
Posts: 1,002
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


I'm doing something similar. Parts are ordered and I should be able to show pictures Thursday night or Friday. Basically I'm using camlocks for all my connections. I, unlike most, am using the male part of the camlocks on my hoses. I am putting the female ends onto the chiller so I can connect my hoses directly for flushing out the chiller. For my temperature and O2 manifold, I am putting a male end on the top (part that connects to the chiller) and a female end where the hose will connect. I'm not using a dial thermometer for my temperature, so I will be able to remove the whole manifold and soak it in StarSan if I feel the need.
Tom
__________________
Abandoned Logic Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
yorkbrew
 
yorkbrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Bellingham, WA
Posts: 114


Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRep View Post
I'm doing something similar. Parts are ordered and I should be able to show pictures Thursday night or Friday. Basically I'm using camlocks for all my connections. I, unlike most, am using the male part of the camlocks on my hoses. I am putting the female ends onto the chiller so I can connect my hoses directly for flushing out the chiller. For my temperature and O2 manifold, I am putting a male end on the top (part that connects to the chiller) and a female end where the hose will connect. I'm not using a dial thermometer for my temperature, so I will be able to remove the whole manifold and soak it in StarSan if I feel the need.
Tom
That's a good point, I didn't consider the difficulties of sanitizing with the thermometer attached to the chiller. I've already got my lines outfitted with female disconnects. I think I'll opt for removing the thermometer each brew to keep my system consistent.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
mountainman13
 
mountainman13's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 278
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkbrew View Post
That's a good point, I didn't consider the difficulties of sanitizing with the thermometer attached to the chiller. I've already got my lines outfitted with female disconnects. I think I'll opt for removing the thermometer each brew to keep my system consistent.
I just throw the whole thing in Star San, thermometer and all. I've never had a problem.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
AussieBrewerInColorado
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AussieBrewerInColorado's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Denver, CO
Posts: 472
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


I do 10 gallon batches and I used to fill up a carboy with PBW, run it through the wort in on plate chiller, then wort out to the other carboy. Repeat this through the wort out to wort in to sink with the full carboy. Do a bit of a rinse and then do the same with starsan. Now i just installed camlock fittings on my system and am not quite sure how to about cleaning/sanitizing it. Last night i just sprayed starsan from a spray bottle into the wort in camlock fitting until it came out the otherside, repeated the other way. Really want to get a thermometer in it as i was off pitching temp last night. Is that just a blichman type 1/2" thermometer going into the T? Cheers.
__________________
____________________________

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb

The Keg Ran Out Club (KROC)
Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.kroc.org/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
mountainman13
 
mountainman13's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 278
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBrewerInColorado View Post
I do 10 gallon batches and I used to fill up a carboy with PBW, run it through the wort in on plate chiller, then wort out to the other carboy. Repeat this through the wort out to wort in to sink with the full carboy. Do a bit of a rinse and then do the same with starsan. Now i just installed camlock fittings on my system and am not quite sure how to about cleaning/sanitizing it. Last night i just sprayed starsan from a spray bottle into the wort in camlock fitting until it came out the otherside, repeated the other way. Really want to get a thermometer in it as i was off pitching temp last night. Is that just a blichman type 1/2" thermometer going into the T? Cheers.
Pretty much. I think this one is actually a Miljoco from Bargainfittings, but it is the same thing as the Blichman I have in my HLT

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
AussieBrewerInColorado
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AussieBrewerInColorado's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Denver, CO
Posts: 472
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Thanks. Work good for you? Another member changed out theirs for a stick on one because it was too sensitive.
__________________
____________________________

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb

The Keg Ran Out Club (KROC)
Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.kroc.org/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #10
mountainman13
 
mountainman13's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 278
Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts


It is very sensitive and almost instant in it's readings, but I don't see how that could be a detractor in any way.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump