New Toy - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > New Toy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2011, 05:12 AM   #1
nukinfuts29
 
nukinfuts29's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Pike County, MO
Posts: 1,594
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts



I used one of these the other day that my neighbor has, and I'm sold.

Amazon.com: Max Burton 6000 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop: Kitchen & Dining
__________________
My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:21 PM   #2
Begin2Brew
Searching for the perfect beer one at a time
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Begin2Brew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Antioch, IL
Posts: 750
Liked 59 Times on 56 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29 View Post
I used one of these the other day that my neighbor has, and I'm sold.

Amazon.com: Max Burton 6000 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop: Kitchen & Dining
In building out my electric brewery one part that I am missing is performing a decoction mash. I don't want to do it in my E-kettle and I have been looking at these to supplement the brewery. This should work well for the small decoctions I do.
__________________
Bill

Ruffled Feathers Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,925
Liked 3202 Times on 1889 Posts


How many gallons of water were you able to bring to a boil with it?
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:12 PM   #4
WAORGANY
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
WAORGANY's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Northern NY, NY
Posts: 476
Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nukinfuts29 View Post
I used one of these the other day that my neighbor has, and I'm sold.

Amazon.com: Max Burton 6000 1800-Watt Portable Induction Cooktop: Kitchen & Dining
Caution these will not work with most SS pots as the Induction element either stand alone like this one or built into to a stove cook top needs the vessel to be magnetic to work. We looked at these stoves earlier this year during a kitchen remodel but opted for a traditional smooth cook top versus induction due to the fact that we didn't want to switch out our entire cooking pots and pans to include my SS boil kettle. Use a magnet to check your pot to ensure it will work! Best of luck.
__________________
RLTW!

Lucky_Chicken Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
nukinfuts29
 
nukinfuts29's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Pike County, MO
Posts: 1,594
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
How many gallons of water were you able to bring to a boil with it?
5 in this case, and it didn't take long. I know he has done up to ten and said it took about 20 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAORGANY View Post
Caution these will not work with most SS pots as the Induction element either stand alone like this one or built into to a stove cook top needs the vessel to be magnetic to work. We looked at these stoves earlier this year during a kitchen remodel but opted for a traditional smooth cook top versus induction due to the fact that we didn't want to switch out our entire cooking pots and pans to include my SS boil kettle. Use a magnet to check your pot to ensure it will work! Best of luck.
I'm familiar with the technology, and my pots all work
__________________
My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
onthekeg
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Posts: 1,786
Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts


It takes 7000 watts to raise 5 gal of water 100 degrees. 1800 isn't even close to that, and you will have temp loss as the element isn't submerged.

It takes 5000 watts to raise 5 gal of water from 150 to boil.

(This is in 10 minutes)

I have a 5500w element in my boil kettle and I assure you that you don't have enough power from that to boil that quickly. I am sure its quicker than a regular element though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
nukinfuts29
 
nukinfuts29's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Pike County, MO
Posts: 1,594
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by onthekeg
It takes 7000 watts to raise 5 gal of water 100 degrees. 1800 isn't even close to that, and you will have temp loss as the element isn't submerged.

It takes 5000 watts to raise 5 gal of water from 150 to boil.

(This is in 10 minutes)

I have a 5500w element in my boil kettle and I assure you that you don't have enough power from that to boil that quickly. I am sure its quicker than a regular element though.
From the time he turned it on till it began the boil was 12 minutes. I have a few burners I didn't really need this, but it was impressive. I imagine the speed comes from the heating being concentrated completely to the vessel but I'm not an expert.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android
__________________
My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
clamflats
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
cape cod
Posts: 101
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


good luck too you. I've been contemplating going electric using the 3500 watt for the boil and a rims hooked to kegs turned upside down for sparg water and mash tun. rumor is that induction more than 95% effective.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
audger
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
., Connecticut
Posts: 1,497
Liked 43 Times on 42 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by clamflats View Post
rumor is that induction more than 95% effective.
no where near, you are thinking about immersion heating elements. try 50-60% for induction, if you get good coupling between the pot and the coil. less than 50% if you dont. so your 1800w induction burner has the same performance of a 900w water heating element, except twice as expensive to operate.

Quote:
5 in this case, and it didn't take long. I know he has done up to ten and said it took about 20 minutes.
...i swear, the fish was THIS BIG!

sorry but that is mathmatically impossible.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM   #10
nukinfuts29
 
nukinfuts29's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Pike County, MO
Posts: 1,594
Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts


/shrug

I know how long it took man. His water may be like mine, where it comes out of the tap damn near boiling. It doesn't really matter to me, because I was there, and I dont care.
__________________
My Recipes: Drunken Emu Hard Cider, Drunken Emu Mississippi River Water
The Jack Keller Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt_Kirks View Post
Patience, my Padawon. The yeast can sense your tension.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Maybe you want to educate yourself instead of just having a bunch of pre-conceived notions based on ignorance.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump