Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #21
william_shakes_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolas388 View Post
thanks for all the info guys. i think im just going to keep it simple for now an ddo the brew on the stove top. what you guys are saying is that i cant do a 5 gallon batch with a 20quart pot? =( my local brew store said it would be okay if i just topped it off with some water. i already have the ingredients for a 5 gallon brown ale.

-nick
Most responses in this thread assume a full boil. I have a 7.5 gal SS pot and do partial boil and top off. I did my early batches with 2.5 gallons of water, then top off into the fermenter after cooling. That's similar to what your LHBW told you. I have drifted toward something more like 3.8 gallons. Only had 1 boil over, but it was a B&^%$ to clean up. Gotta get it before it hardens on the ceramic cooktop. It's however much wort your heating appliance can do in a resonable amount of time. I can heat to steeping temps in about 20 minutes, and to 200 in about 45 minutes. Never get a really strong rolling boil, so I will not go to full boil unless and until I get a burner. You need head space in your pot to give you time to react to boil overs. I've heard many brewers use fermcaps or baby gas-x to prevent boil overs, but I've never tried it so I don't know how effective it is or if it alters the flavor of the final product. You shouldn't boil 5 gallons in a 5 gallon pot. Also, if/when when you go to a burner, you need good ventilation. Combustion gives off carbon monoxide.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #22
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman6409 View Post
If you are going to make 5 gallon brews then a 5 gallon stock pot is definitely not enough based on one reason. When you go to boil the wort you will always have, hopefully, somewhere around 6 to 6.5 gallons of wort to boil.
He will boil less of a much higher gravity wort, then top off in the fermenter with water. Lots of people do this rather than boiling the full volume.

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 12-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #23
nickolas388
Recipes 

so osagedr, your saying a 5gallon pot will be okay then?

Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #24
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolas388 View Post
so osagedr, your saying a 5gallon pot will be okay then?
I'm saying you can make a 5 gallon pot work if that's what your circumstances dictate at this time. Maybe take a look at Deathbrewer's stovetop AG thread and see if there is anything else in there that helps you decide.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-90132/

@evilgoatbrewing

Old 12-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #25
nickolas388
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by osagedr View Post
I'm saying you can make a 5 gallon pot work if that's what your circumstances dictate at this time. Maybe take a look at Deathbrewer's stovetop AG thread and see if there is anything else in there that helps you decide.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-90132/
yeh, i think i just want to keep brewing simple for now since its my first batch and all =X

thanks for the link, seems like a very helpful thread. im going to have to look through the whole thing in detail when i get a chance.

-nick