Any Clampers here? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Any Clampers here?

Old 05-02-2007, 06:45 AM   #1
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

You know who you are, just curious how many chapters are represented here. Though I have to say I don't think I've met any brewing clampers, other than my Dad-In-Law, and he ain't brewed in over 20yrs...

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 05-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2005
West Kelowna BC, Canada
Liked 67 Times on 53 Posts

A what?? What the hell is a brewing clamper?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 05-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #3
Wolf

Recipes 

Jan 2006
Racine, WI
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It's like a Mason but with a lot more drinking and a lot less.....umm, masonry.
I think.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:32 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #5
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Liked 87 Times on 69 Posts

Is a clamper anything like a Clampett?

Old 05-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf
It's like a Mason but with a lot more drinking and a lot less.....umm, masonry.
I think.
Yeap, something like that. Often referred to as "a historical drinking society or a drinking historical society."

E. Clampus Vitus

Old 05-02-2007, 02:50 PM   #7
dibby33

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Hobart, Tasmania
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

Can I join?

Primary
s : Ginger Beer, Wheat Beer
Secondary :
Empty
Bottled
: all drunk
Drinking : A Lot.
Next Up : Wheat Beer with grainy things

Old 05-02-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Liked 46 Times on 37 Posts

Don't let dibby join. All the others will start worshipping him and these weird little churches will start popping up all over the place.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #9
johnsma22
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
Taunton, MA
Liked 82 Times on 61 Posts

Here is what I found about the 'Clampers'. It was started by men trying to survive during the Gold Rush. It's great to see that even in times of despair these men still managed to maintain a sense of humor!

By 1850 two fraternal organizations, the Masonic Lodge and the Odd Fellows (IOOF), were well established in California and virtually all men of influence were members of either or both of these orders. Both groups were viewed as very strict in nature with impressive badges of office and formal attire. In short, they provided little humor and certainly no relief from the arduous task of just staying alive. In 1851 a group of men at Mokelumne Hill, California, felt another fraternal organization, one much less serious of nature, was needed and The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, with an avowed dedication to the protection of "Widows and Orphans", came to life in the west. Originally, the order was a spoof or mockery of the well known fraternal orders. But it also recognized a certain absurdity that was so much a part of their lives and, indeed, had become something that was cherished whether viewed as an escape or just another thing that had to be endured. One can only imagine the difficulty in maintaining a serious expression as these Clampers carried on their satire by addressed each other with lofty sounding titles of "Noble Grand Humbug", "Clamps Vitrix", "Roisterous Iscutis", "Royal Gyascutis", "Grand Imperturbable Hangman". To further their mockery the members bedecked themselves with badges and self created awards fashioned from tin can lids. The latter became known as "wearing the tin". Rather than having a strict officialdom, all members were declared officers with none ranking higher than his fellow Clampers. Initiates, known as Poor Blind Candidates or PBCs, were subjected to a withering blast of humiliation and relieved of as much gold dust as possible which was promptly used to sustain the gathering at the saloon. The PBC was instantly transformed into a full fledged Clamper. Although there are no formal uniforms, Clampers today maintain a tradition of wearing red shirts at their functions as a remembrance of the red union suits of old. And most will be seen wearing a vest of some sort that is adorned with a multitude badges, pins and patches. There were no dues then and none are collected today. E Clampus Vitus is now and has been since its inception a "men only" organization.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Apr 2006
Union City, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsma22
Here is what I found about the 'Clampers'. It was started by men trying to survive during the Gold Rush. It's great to see that even in times of despair these men still managed to maintain a sense of humor!

By 1850 two fraternal organizations, the Masonic Lodge and the Odd Fellows (IOOF), were well established in California and virtually all men of influence were members of either or both of these orders. Both groups were viewed as very strict in nature with impressive badges of office and formal attire. In short, they provided little humor and certainly no relief from the arduous task of just staying alive. In 1851 a group of men at Mokelumne Hill, California, felt another fraternal organization, one much less serious of nature, was needed and The Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus, with an avowed dedication to the protection of "Widows and Orphans", came to life in the west. Originally, the order was a spoof or mockery of the well known fraternal orders. But it also recognized a certain absurdity that was so much a part of their lives and, indeed, had become something that was cherished whether viewed as an escape or just another thing that had to be endured. One can only imagine the difficulty in maintaining a serious expression as these Clampers carried on their satire by addressed each other with lofty sounding titles of "Noble Grand Humbug", "Clamps Vitrix", "Roisterous Iscutis", "Royal Gyascutis", "Grand Imperturbable Hangman". To further their mockery the members bedecked themselves with badges and self created awards fashioned from tin can lids. The latter became known as "wearing the tin". Rather than having a strict officialdom, all members were declared officers with none ranking higher than his fellow Clampers. Initiates, known as Poor Blind Candidates or PBCs, were subjected to a withering blast of humiliation and relieved of as much gold dust as possible which was promptly used to sustain the gathering at the saloon. The PBC was instantly transformed into a full fledged Clamper. Although there are no formal uniforms, Clampers today maintain a tradition of wearing red shirts at their functions as a remembrance of the red union suits of old. And most will be seen wearing a vest of some sort that is adorned with a multitude badges, pins and patches. There were no dues then and none are collected today. E Clampus Vitus is now and has been since its inception a "men only" organization.
"What say the Bretheren?"

Satisfactory!