Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Cider > Drunken Emu Hard Cider

Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #111
mhuntwork
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I will be starting this in a few weeks since we MAY have our first frost in Cincinnati tonight. Time to hit the orchard! My ultra basic recipe has been a winner and it's time to try something a little funky. I will not be doing nutmeg (because I despise it). I will be kegging though. Will consider any alterations to the plan to accommodate kegging over the next few weeks but it should be pretty straightforward. Potassium Sorbate and a CO2 cylinder eliminate so many problems!

Old 09-20-2012, 12:13 AM   #112
mrkrstphr
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineMilBill View Post
Just brewed my first batch, one gallon's worth. Left the nutmeg out. Scaled it like this:

1 Gallon Tree Top Cider
3.25 oz White Sugar
6.5 oz Dark Brown Sugar
1 packet Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate powder
1 cinnamon stick
Just brewed a batch using this scaled version. Holy cow did it taste sweet and delicious before I pitched the yeast. I can't wait to see what this tastes like after it finishes fermenting!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #113
Jayhawk
Recipes 

My new TN home has 18 apple trees and we had a bumper crop of apples (Lord it can't be this many apples every year!). I made myself an apple grinder and press and have made about 40 gallons of hard cider. When I saw this recipe I just had to try it. Some variations:

In my primary I added:
5 Campden tablets (crushed)
1.5 teaspoons of pectic enzyme
1.5 teaspoons of yeast nutrient
5 gallons of freshly squeezed apple cider (raw).

Allowed to rest overnight. The cider really clears up do to the enzyme.

I pulled out a gallon and followed the recipe from there. One thing I made sure was not to boil the cider when dissolving the sugar and chocolate. Everything I read says not to boil cider but I have no idea why. Nottingham yeast is doing its thing. I'll be racking into a carboy in about a week. Plan is to have this brew during Christmas holidays to compliment some hot cider next to the fire.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #114
run42beer
Recipes 

I made the same recipe last weekend, scaling it to a 5 gallon batch. Using store brand Costco apple juice, I ended up with a very sweet/chocolate smelling starter at OG of 1.085. Since last weekend the Nottingham yeast has been very happily eating/bubbling away. Can't wait to see how this one will turn out :-)

Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #115
1971hemicuda
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I know that Nottingham was highly! suggested, but I used a typical cider yeast. I've had it going now for about 3 weeks...smells delicious!

However, this is my first cider...any idea of home long till its done and I can bottle it? I've heard that cider DOES age...so leaving it for a month or 6 months isn't bad. But lets say, for all intensive purposes i will let it age in the bottle...and would love to get another 10 gallons going asap when should I expect it to be feremented out?

Also...should I add any clearing agents?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #116
k00k
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How many grams of Nottingham yeast per gallon are people using in this recipe?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #117
guscampag
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Was wondering what kind of luck people had with wine yeasts ie. Montrachet instead of the Notty. The Notty sure has increased in price from last year! A packet that was 1.99 last year is now 3.99. I believe the Montrachet is still 49 cents at least at my LHBS. I am not planning to take it all the way dry, so I was thinking maybe it wouldn't matter?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #118
thiessenace
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nottingham yeast. Is that the ale gluten free yeast? Any other suggestions for yeast?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:13 AM   #119
Jayhawk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k00k
How many grams of Nottingham yeast per gallon are people using in this recipe?
I get an 11 gram pack and let it hydrate it all overnight. Then pitch it on the morning. When I get home from work, it's bubbling away.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #120
Jayhawk
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971hemicuda
I know that Nottingham was highly! suggested, but I used a typical cider yeast. I've had it going now for about 3 weeks...smells delicious!

However, this is my first cider...any idea of home long till its done and I can bottle it? I've heard that cider DOES age...so leaving it for a month or 6 months isn't bad. But lets say, for all intensive purposes i will let it age in the bottle...and would love to get another 10 gallons going asap when should I expect it to be feremented out?

Also...should I add any clearing agents?
I've made 40 gallons using both an Ale dry yeast and an English Cider liquid yeast. In both instances, I primary in my bucket for a week, then rack off in a carboy for two weeks. My s.g. has been .998 ish so sugar is all used up.